Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Dublin Mayo (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   1 hour delay to 18:05 Westport - Dublin (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=3171)

StephenM 20-10-2007 22:53

1 hour delay to 18:05 Westport - Dublin

Just to say that tonights service from Westport to Dublin was delayed by about 10-15 minutes in Clara while we were waiting for the 19:05 to Galway to pass. It was announced and we trundled on after a while. Now heres where I am confused.

We stopped outside Geashill due to the 18:05 Galway - Dublin had broken down ahead of us. By the looks of things it was the far side of the passing loop at Geashill, and would have been sitting there for atleast an hour. Our locomotive was then disconnected and ran ahead, as far as I can tell it pulled the Galway train onto the passing loop at Geashill then re-connected to the Westport train and pulled up as far as the signal at the end of the loop to wait for a relief train from Portarlington. The total delay in Geashill was about an hour and they had 3 announcements.

On arrival into Dublin (1 hour late) IE had put in a free bus service into the City Centre. Overall despite the delay I was pretty happy with the attitude of IE and even the guy at the customer service desk was quite friendly.

I feel sorry for the Galway passengers though, over 2 hours late. Ouch!

Derek Wheeler 20-10-2007 23:08

Were refund forms issued or mentioned?

StephenM 20-10-2007 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler (Post 26214)
Were refund forms issued or mentioned?

Due to the wonderful PA System in Heuston I made out the appology and the free bus but I am not 100% sure of the refunds.

Derek Wheeler 20-10-2007 23:27

Obviously everyone on your train was entitled to a refund of sorts. A one hour delay is rather substantial.

This highlights yet again the poor exposition of the customer charter and the performance of IE management in terms of performing basic tasks that they themselves have set out.

We recently had Barry Kenny on the radio talking about the new EU legislation. He went on about the charter and IEs position on lates trains. He spoke as if they had invented the process and how it is (apparently) better that the EU proposal. He also mentioned that staff had once stood on platforms handing out forms in relation to "refunds". That happened in Heuston and we are in no doubt that it was as a result of pressure applied from here. Why? Because we had members on the affected trains.

In general the customer charter is a disgrace. Why? Because despite its early promotion it is now hidden like so much else in that place. I would assume that StephenM was not told about the ticket refund policy.

StephenM 20-10-2007 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler (Post 26216)
In general the customer charter is a disgrace. Why? Because despite its early promotion it is now hidden like so much else in that place. I would assume that StephenM was not told about the ticket refund policy.

It was only through these forums that I became aware of the guidelines of the refund policy. The refund forms were sitting on the Customer Service desk, not sure if they are always there.

Colm Moore 20-10-2007 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenM (Post 26218)
It was only through these forums that I became aware of the guidelines of the refund policy. The refund forms were sitting on the Customer Service desk, not sure if they are always there.

God was on that train, wasn't he?

Thomas Ralph 23-10-2007 21:22

The new EU regulations are only going to apply to cross-border trains until the middle of the next decade, from what I've seen, and the Enterprise charter is already pretty good.

KSW 23-10-2007 21:31

One hour delay Ouch!, Feel sorry for the Galway passengers doh.. I think its a complete 100% refund. or 50%. If you were on (I.E) the Cork 1st class then its 100% Refund and a Sorry from the First class Host.

StephenM 18-11-2007 12:01

Just to say I got a €15 refund in the post this week along with a letter explaining what went wrong in an informative manner. To be honest I was very surprised by the explaination and very happy with the service. IE are in my good books now. :)

KSW 18-11-2007 18:55

It depends on who replys back to you, My attitude on Iarnrod Eireann has also completly changed regarding personal writings to the company.........

Mark Gleeson 18-11-2007 20:14

I wouldn't be quick to start praising them

1. Delay shouldn't have happened in the first place

2. You should get your refund by return of post, not 25 odd days later

Last time it took me 6 weeks to get the refund, they 'lost' the original it appears

KSW 18-11-2007 20:53

Agree, No delay should happen unless outside of their control.
Refunds within 5 working days. Fair enough the Locomotive died but the Company has to suffer the travel costs of each passenger. Anyway thats just my thoughts!!.........

StephenM 19-11-2007 09:32

It was my own fault that I sent in the claim late and it was back within a week, but the address I sent it to I was not back in until Friday.

Pierce 20-11-2007 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenM (Post 27294)
It was my own fault that I sent in the claim late and it was back within a week

A weeek is fanastic. €15-00 How much is the Westport journey?

StephenM 20-11-2007 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierce (Post 27373)
A weeek is fanastic. €15-00 How much is the Westport journey?

€30.50 Student Return. I wont be persuing the €0.25! :cool: