Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Dublin Sligo (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   0545 ex Sligo - Freezing Cold (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=15101)

joey 03-02-2014 19:11

0545 ex Sligo - Freezing Cold

No heating on the 0545 from Sligo to Connolly this morning absolutely freezing cold for the whole journey.
Requested it that it would be turned on, but was told it could not be controlled on the train?? How bizarre is that!!

Mark Gleeson 04-02-2014 11:19

Usual excuses, the big switch in the cab on the left of the driver is hard to miss

joey 04-02-2014 13:13

I was told by staff it was controlled in DUNDALK!!
not on the train, unbelievable!

Mark Gleeson 04-02-2014 14:08

To the left of the driver on the wall is a set of switches which turn on and off the lights and heating.

The train computer does report in and in theory it is possible to change the temperature remotely, that data goes to Portlaoise.

Experience has shown that selecting the heating off and then on again can help

Jamie2k9 04-02-2014 14:39

Possible to change the temperature but are drivers allowed do this and do many of them know about it, would something like this be in the training for the 22?

Quote:

No heating on the 0545 from Sligo to Connolly this morning absolutely freezing cold for the whole journey.
Requested it that it would be turned on, but was told it could not be controlled on the train?? How bizarre is that!!
Was the engine running in the carriage? if not very little heat is transferred from the other coaches and best to move in future if it was the case there was no engine running.

James Howard 05-02-2014 16:59

I've been told that Dundalk story before on a 29K so it must be one guy's go-to excuse. I was on that train on Monday and I didn't notice. I was sitting in the second car from the back.

joey 05-02-2014 18:24

I was in the middle esh. Where the three and four car set joined together

James Howard 05-02-2014 19:15

It was a 3+4 set and I think the three was leading.

Jamie2k9 05-02-2014 19:18

The Dundalk and Portlaoise depot excuse as people call it are technically correct, as there is probably a big chance half the drivers don't want to interfere with the temperatures settings, unable to do it or have being told one time or another not to or log a note about it and somebody else will change it.

Not turning it on is a different matter or there is the very slim chance it actually wasn't working for some reason.

berneyarms 05-02-2014 19:31

The drivers can switch the heating on and off but they cannot adjust the temperature.

That is set at the depot (Dundalk or Portlaoise) and is computer controlled.

joey 06-02-2014 13:19

What a marvelous design to our wonderful fleet of new trains, where the heating temperature cannot be set onboard, incredible!

Inniskeen 06-02-2014 14:23

No depot in Dundalk !

berneyarms 06-02-2014 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inniskeen (Post 73899)
No depot in Dundalk !

What was I thinking?

Drogheda is what I meant!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey (Post 73897)
What a marvelous design to our wonderful fleet of new trains, where the heating temperature cannot be set onboard, incredible!

Fairly standard I would suggest - either on or off.

grainne whale 06-02-2014 16:42

Quote:

You could bring your own plug in heater.:eek:

Colm Moore 06-02-2014 17:02

Quote:

This is the correct way to do things. Set the temperature at 16-21 degrees and let the computer work out what it needs. Increasing or decreasing that setting means that people with coats are too hot and those without are too cold.

Not turning on the system is a whole other matter.

joey 06-02-2014 20:36

For what its worth Im busted now with the flu, I'll have a few days off at my own expense...:mad:

The heating was simply not on, never mind about temperature settings, it just wasn't on at all. I mean 5.45am and it was minus two in the shade, fairly plain to see that heating was required.

James Howard 07-02-2014 07:46

It must have been a failure in part of the train which does happen from time to time most like because the engine wasn't running. There was definitely heat in the second last car on Monday morning.

The approach of just setting a thermostat and blocking on-board staff from fiddling with it is definitely the right way to go as long as the system works.

joey 07-02-2014 19:07

1800 ex Sligo to Dublin, good news is the heating is on!!

Passenger numbers are good aswell, fairly busy but still a couple of seats spare in the coach I am in. The 9.99€ seems to be working well for IR

Traincustomer 07-02-2014 20:09

Hope you're back on form. An early-morning train devoid of heat can't have been pleasant. Have had a similar bus experience but not rail (well, not yet).