Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Intercity and Regional (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   TVM at Ballybrophy ? (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=14956)

laoisfan 23-10-2013 11:06

TVM at Ballybrophy ?

Hi

Is anyone aware of a TVM being installed in Ballybrophy? I noticed some "sprayed" markings this morning with "TVM" near the 1st gate onto the platform. Didn't have time to take a picture.

Thanks.

Mark Gleeson 23-10-2013 11:19

There is a space inside for one as well

Always a bit strange that there was no TVM there. Its a bit of local issue Portlaoise only got one in recent years

laoisfan 23-10-2013 12:08

Hi Mark,

Portlaoise does not currently have a TVM. I know there are plans to install one but planning permission for new glass-steel structure to accomodate was recently declined by Laois County Council.

Thanks

haddockman 23-10-2013 12:20

Is the booking office open all day and evening in Portlaoise?

As for Ballybrophy, I think they were hoping the branch would have been long shut by now and there would be no need for a TVM as the station would be redundant. I even use Thurles now as it has an hourly service all day, even though I am only 3 miles from Ballybrophy.

laoisfan 23-10-2013 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by haddockman (Post 72785)
Is the booking office open all day and evening in Portlaoise?

As for Ballybrophy, I think they were hoping the branch would have been long shut by now and there would be no need for a TVM as the station would be redundant. I even use Thurles now as it has an hourly service all day, even though I am only 3 miles from Ballybrophy.

As far as I know the booking office is open all day in Portlaoise.

I was considering using Thurles ( I live in Donaghmore, just 5 minutes from Ballybrophy) but could not justify the extra cost in terms of petrol, car parking charges etc. As it is Templemore car park is more or less empty now, most people are getting the train from Ballybrophy as they save on train ticket price and no car parking charges. Granted they probably spend more on fuel, but a lot of them are from Roscrea, so much of a much.

Traincustomer 18-11-2013 23:27

TVM will be available in Ballybrophy next week - week of November 25th

and in Portlaoise around the end of January.

Source: IÉ website

Jamie2k9 19-11-2013 02:40

Quote:

TVM will be available in Ballybrophy next week - week of November 25th

and in Portlaoise around the end of January.

Source: IÉ website

Great to see them being rolled on, 3 stations o Rosslare line over the next 3 weeks. Thomastown, Muine Bheag, Clara, Ballinasloe to name a few from end of Jan.

Destructix 19-11-2013 13:03

They were supposed to install a TVM in Templemore in 2011 but they never did and sometimes the booking office in Templemore is unstaffed. Never noticed that Portlaoise didn't have one and would have thought they got one at the same time as Limerick Junction Thurles. Thurles and Limerick Junction got them back in 2006 you would think all stations along the mainline would have one by now.

Traincustomer 19-11-2013 13:53

Good news...TVM available week of 25th Nov i.e. next week in Templemore.

haddockman 19-11-2013 16:55

Is this going to lead to unmanned stations?

berneyarms 19-11-2013 18:09

Not necessarily. It just means that people ought to be able to buy a ticket when the station booking office is unstaffed.

Some of the stations that they are being installed at are already unstaffed.

Jamie2k9 18-03-2014 16:53

Beleive the roll out of many TMV's over the last few months hasn't happened because of a software problem.

laoisfan 21-03-2014 14:54

Still no TVM at Ballybrophy currently. However, 2 steel bollards for want of a better word have appeared in the immediate area of where the TVM will be located. I suspect it is to probably stop people pulling into that area with their car.

On that note...the car park at Ballybrophy is normal full and people park on either side of the road leading down to the station. And I mean a lot of cars.

I suspect it is mainly majority of people who used to use Templemore are now using Ballybrophy for a) €1000 cheaper on the annual ticket and b) no parking charges.

I doubt they are all from Templemore, more so from the immediate surrounding areas, a few are from Nenagh, some from Roscrea, other Clonmore (5 mins from Templemore, 20 mins Ballybrophy).

haddockman 22-03-2014 10:58

There does be some very interesting parking there at the best of times.

I can't think of an occasion in the last few years where I have been able to use the actual carpark at Ballybrophy.

laoisfan 24-03-2014 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by haddockman (Post 74187)
There does be some very interesting parking there at the best of times.

I can't think of an occasion in the last few years where I have been able to use the actual carpark at Ballybrophy.

Generally speaking the carpark is full as majority of the people get the 1st train (~6:40am).
I normally get the 2nd train (~7:44am).

What I've noticed lately (last 4-6 weeks) is that on a Monday & Friday morning there are still a few spaces available, the Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday it's more or less full save for 1-3 spots.

haddockman 09-06-2014 00:03

I see there is now a TVM in Ballybrophy. Happy days!