Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Up To Date Travel Information (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Christmas & New Year Travel 2012 - Chat (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=14607)

Mark Gleeson 24-01-2013 17:22

Greece closed 50% of its rail network after the IMF showed up

There is no need for public transport on the 25th, and if there was the fact we have a network focused on the city centre it really won't be much use

There has in the past been attempts to provide service to connect with major events, but for the most part not used

1. Concert runs late, the scheduled plan can't change due limits on hours and existing timetable
2. Out of hours service -> overtime

Jamie2k9 24-01-2013 19:31

on the move:

If you think these late night services would be well used then why did very few use them in the past. Can you recall NYE 2011? (am certain IE ran late night services, open to correction) or other events that late services were ran as good as empty.

Inniskeen 24-01-2013 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 (Post 70631)
on the move:

If you think these late night services would be well used then why did very few use them in the past. Can you recall NYE 2011? (am certain IE ran late night services, open to correction) or other events that late services were ran as good as empty.

I don't believe Irish Rail have ever run late services in Dublin on New Years eve with the possible exception of the few occasions when late night DARTs were provided over the Christmas holiday period. Even then the normal service ceased around 2100 on both Christmas Eve and New Years Eve.

Jamie2k9 25-01-2013 02:22

Quote:

few occasions when late night DARTs were provided over the Christmas holiday period.
I see anyway my point is these would still run if enough people used them but they didn't.

Thomas J Stamp 25-01-2013 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by on the move (Post 70628)
The point isn't whether events are on once a year or not, the point is when there are events on at all, the transport network schedule is inflexible and what is available is therefore full to bursting. Defending it on "few and far between" grounds is not good enough on the day itself. If you run it, people will use it.

Can't understand that people advocate that public transport should stop on a public transport forum, but there you go. If Greece can run a transport network with all their problems, Ireland can.

Who is saying it should stop? I am saying that since it doesnt run on a few days because it plainly will be a black hole there is not point in starting it. You may recall we (and as i have mentioned many times, what is said on a board is just my opinion not policy) were against the re-opening of the WRC for that very reason.

If any decision public transport wise apes a Greek one, it is the WRC, wasting money we dont have on a service which isnt used, to gain the political partonage and benefits of a few public representatives and local power groupings. You may want to open a mini one every year on christmas day, thankfully, others dont.

And by the way, there is a full nitelink service after the NYE celebrations. Every year.