Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Events, Happenings and Media (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Dempsey publishes Dublin Transport Authority Bill (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=4098)

Brian.Stokes 14-04-2008 16:33

Dempsey publishes Dublin Transport Authority Bill

Quote:

RTE News

================================================== ========
Ireland
New body would co-ordinate Dublin transport
Monday, 14 April 2008 14:31
Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey has said he hopes the new Dublin Transport Authority Bill would get through the Oireachtas later this year and that the new Authority would be in place early next year.

The bill was published today.

The new Authority will have overall responsibility for co-ordinating transport in the Greater Dublin Area.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio's News At One, Mr Dempsey said an interim board would be set up in the meantime to ensure the necessary preparations were made.
I had a quick look at the Bill and while there is a lot more in it and and a long way to go, it seems to be a good start.

Main things that caught my eye were;
  • power to force operators to carry out decisions of the DTA,
  • permission to borrow up to €1 billion,
  • right to establish in any operation their own company if they feel the need to so to provide a service.

Interesting times ahead.

Mark Gleeson 14-04-2008 16:55

Its 93 pages to read

Needless to say I've found a really really bad typo in it

Overall its good, long awaited, question is it will it it get through without been horribly mangled by our wonderful public representatives

Colm R 14-04-2008 17:14

Wasn't there an episode on the Simpsons. Something about a bill going through the Senate about rescuing Springfield from a disaster, and someone tried to append something to it, and therefore it getting defeated.

The quote after was "Democracy doesn't work".

Brian.Stokes 14-04-2008 19:59

I have time to comment now.

First things first, the typos in the bill will be beaten out in the 2 Dáil stages, committee stage and the Seanad.

Mark pm me the typo and I can pass it on to the committee when the time comes by.

If anybody wants to get the gist of the bill then read the memorandum which explains each section in every day language.

The RUI can get in on the act (get it:D ) at Committee stage and inject some passenger sense into the Authoritys make up.

I think that this new Authority is the best chance that passengers in the Greater Dublin Area have of getting the benefit of a workable transport system. If we want to see the Transport 21 projects actually happen then an Authority with teeth, the ability to make deals, borrow and direct planning is the only hope.

Its too much to hope that you will get enough Ministers along with the interest to implement and follow up the plan. I would imagine that this Bill has given the Interconnector a real chance of being built in or about the proposed date. (rather than being put out by another 10 yrs)

Colm Donoghue 14-04-2008 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian.Stokes (Post 32415)
I have time to comment now.

First things first, the typos in the bill will be beaten out in the 2 Dáil stages, committee stage and the Seanad.

Mark pm me the typo and I can pass it on to the committee when the time comes by.

No one here is getting 240 grand a year to let others check their spelling.....
let dempsey find it himself

Mark Gleeson 14-04-2008 21:13

Turns out it was a false alarm :mad:

Its going to take a long time to work through the entire document, though fairly sure a few obvious things are missing, they don't effect the agencies operation but effects its accountability

Brian.Stokes 14-04-2008 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colm Donoghue (Post 32416)

People get paid around here???:eek: , where do I apply?

Derek Wheeler 15-04-2008 19:13

Quote:

Ha!
I like that.

MOH 21-04-2008 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 32417)
Turns out it was a false alarm :mad:

Its going to take a long time to work through the entire document, though fairly sure a few obvious things are missing, they don't effect the agencies operation but effects its accountability

Accountability? :confused:

Can't see that ever catching on over here.

Mark 05-09-2008 08:27

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp...ng=ENG&loc=849

Released on Wednesday.

Derek Wheeler 07-09-2008 20:29

http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/...endaugstat.pdf

Released on Tuesday.:D

dowlingm 09-09-2008 03:13

Quote:

How much does Dick Fearn earn - you find his typos every time a timetable is released :rolleyes: