Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   One Late, One Early ex coolmine (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=10572)

ColmmacO 22-09-2009 09:08

One Late, One Early ex coolmine

Monday Morning: 08.38 ex coolmine delayed 12 minutes due to the sligo intercity train being welll late.

Q1: Why should 700 odd commuters have to wait on 400 people on the sligo train? If the sligo train is late, why not let it wait behind the next maynooth commuter train?

Tuesday Morning: Getting the 08.58 to connolly. At the station at 08.52 there is a train on the platform. No markings on the train, so if it looks like and sounds like the 08.48 docklands train, it is the docklands train, right??

WRONG:
at 08.58 I realise that I (and 50 others at the platform) have been done yet again by another master stroke of Irish Rail genius.
Up pulls the docklands train. So not having any other choice for 25 minutes, I get on it. But there is still people at the station waiting on the (never to arrive) 08.58 to connolly as we pull off.

Q2: Why cant irish rail make an announcment at the station that the trains had swapped places? Why cant they let the trains run in the proper order but say 5 minutes late?

finnyus 22-09-2009 10:24

I know the East Cork line has a less frequent service than the Maynooth line, but last Friday, the 16:00 Cork - Cobh stopped @ Little Island. About 10 people got on, thinking that it was the 16:15 to Midleton. It was a 2600 train, scrolls broken (showing Tullamore at one end, and nothing at the driving direction end). When the train headed for Fota they knew they were on the train! It does not help that the timetables @ Little Island are for Glounthaune! And the timetables @ Glounthaune are for Little Island! I would love to meet the person that put up those timetables and ask him why? The timetables have been up for about a week before the reopening of the Midleton line.

In Stuttgart, Germany, the tram system is set up that when a tram is entering into its destination terminus, they pass over a sensor which updates the destination display (internally and externally). This goes for the Stuttgart buses as well.

I suppose though, the enhancement of the customer's confusion is just another part of Irish Rail!

Mark Gleeson 22-09-2009 10:29

The issue of non functional destination displays has been raised numerous times with IE

New EU laws will require certain basic information. Failure to display the destination front, rear and sides where fitted is in breech of a whole heap of accessibilty rules

Thomas the Tank 24-09-2009 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColmmacO (Post 49624)
Monday Morning: 08.38 ex coolmine delayed 12 minutes due to the sligo intercity train being welll late.

Q1: Why should 700 odd commuters have to wait on 400 people on the sligo train? If the sligo train is late, why not let it wait behind the next maynooth commuter train?

ColmMacO I was going to post on this very thing tomorrow morning after I'd finished gathering my week's info on the persistent lateness of the Docklands train due to being stuck behind the persistently late Sligo train. I cannot recall the last time the Docklands 8.28 service ex Coolmine was on time, which prompted me to take note of the arrival times this week. Monday as you say correctly it was 12 mins late, Tuesday 4 mins late, Wednesday 7 mins late and this morning 6 mins late. I would faint with shock if it was on time tomorrow morning.

When the Docklands service first started running it left Coolmine at 8.23 (Clonsilla presumably at 8.21), and everything ran pretty much on time. Then the geniuses in IE decided to change the timetable to run it 8.28 ex Coolmine to allow for this bloody Sligo train that holds the whole show up. It's completely infuriating. Not only is it late departing Clonsilla, it also stops for two mins just past Broombridge to allow for an outbound service to cross over. Outrageous!:mad:

Thomas the Tank 25-09-2009 08:13

And just to round off the week nicely, Docklands 4 mins late this morning. 0 from 5. Nice work IE:rolleyes:

ColmmacO 29-10-2009 13:09

08.17 ex maynooth arrived 15 minutes late this morning (29-10) due to sligo train being late.
08.40 was on time.

ThomasJ 29-10-2009 13:14

yep i had that same problem on Monday.

The afternoon inbound sligo train left maynooth ten minutes late having knock on affects on the maynooth train that was held. The maynooth train left fifteen minutes late.

ColmmacO 02-11-2009 17:40

08:17 late again this morning.
10 minutes late arriving into coolmine.
Docklands train also a few mins delayed.

Missed connecting bray train.
Next dart to greystones was also ten minutes late.

ThomasJ 02-11-2009 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColmmacO (Post 50584)
08:17 late again this morning.
10 minutes late arriving into coolmine.
Docklands train also a few mins delayed.

Missed connecting bray train.
Next dart to greystones was also ten minutes late.

colm did you notice how slow the train was leaving coolmine ? I was on the train on saturday and i couldnt believe how slow the train was leaving the stations and how long it took it to pick up speed ! It was like there was a speed restriction !

It was ten minutes late arriving at clonsilla. Fifteen minutes late arriving at connolly.

karlr42 03-11-2009 14:26

The wheelslip problem is getting truly ridiculous at this stage.

ColmmacO 03-11-2009 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJ (Post 50585)
colm did you notice how slow the train was leaving coolmine ? I was on the train on saturday and i couldnt believe how slow the train was leaving the stations and how long it took it to pick up speed ! It was like there was a speed restriction !

It was ten minutes late arriving at clonsilla. Fifteen minutes late arriving at connolly.

To be honest thomas, I didnt notice the slow speed of the train.
But then again, I was so shocked at getting a seat in the morning I was distracted from everything else.

Mark Gleeson 03-11-2009 16:51

This mornings stats show all trains before 9am where either marginally early or less than 3 minutes late into Connolly

ColmmacO 04-11-2009 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 50621)
This mornings stats show all trains before 9am where either marginally early or less than 3 minutes late into Connolly

Misread post...

That would be correct.
But I guarantee next monday, the 08.38 (coolmine) will be delayed behind the sligo train.

Mark Gleeson 04-11-2009 17:27

Our records show arrival

Mon 09:13:36
Tues 09:03:24
Wed 09:04:24

We have people to log these things :D

ColmmacO 04-11-2009 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 50701)
Our records show arrival

Mon 09:13:36
Tues 09:03:24
Wed 09:04:24

We have people to log these things :D

What, no millisecond resolution??
:D

Mark Gleeson 04-11-2009 17:47

Sadly not, though we are working on a project to record the arrival of every single train

ColmmacO 05-11-2009 10:34

Fair play.
thats some undertaking.

ColmmacO 09-11-2009 11:37

08.17 ex maynooth on time this morning.
Joy!!

Mark Gleeson 09-11-2009 14:01

Not only on time but exactly to within a few seconds. Had you been on the train before or after you would have been late

Mark Gleeson 11-11-2009 09:22

9:13 this morning