Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Events, Happenings and Media (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Review of Galway-Limerick Service - 95 passengers per day (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=14461)

Jamie2k9 16-08-2012 21:21

Review of Galway-Limerick Service - 95 passengers per day

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/bu...rain-1-4170437

http://galwayindependent.com/stories...-off-the-rails

KSW 17-08-2012 13:00

At present, an open return ticket from Galway to Limerick is priced at €32.50 (€22 day return) and averages two hours in duration. The equivalent journey on Bus Eireann’s Express route takes 1hr and 25mins and can be booked online for €20.90, while the private Citylink service takes 1hr 20mins with a web booking price of €19.80.

It's all in that sentence. Why would people take a journey of 2hrs when the same journey for cheaper and faster goes by bus. The train is meant to be faster!!!
Rosslare to Dublin line is the very same.Wexford bus price 18euro return with buses after 6.35(last train time) Train takes 1hr50mins bus 1hr15.

jacko 17-08-2012 15:52

It needs to become a Galway - Ennis - Limerick - Clonmel - Waterford thru service.

It needs to be marketed

It needs the €9.99 online fares

Inniskeen 17-08-2012 16:19

Decent trains and competitive journey times would help as well.

comcor 17-08-2012 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko (Post 68964)
It needs to become a Galway - Ennis - Limerick - Clonmel - Waterford thru service.

It needs to be marketed

It needs the €9.99 online fares

I can't for the life of me understand why they don't at least run as far as Limerick Junction. That makes Cork, Kerry and Waterford one change away and makes the train the fastest public transport option. It's almost costless considering there are already Limerick-Limerick Junction services. Even better if they ran through, but at least make the connections possible.

dowlingm 17-08-2012 17:53

because IE don't want the holy connections to the Dublin-Cork line disrupted, that's why.

If IE operated Limerick-Waterford as a through service it would beat the bus handily (which because of geography can't be said of Limerick-Galway without massive capital expenditure to raise line speeds above 70) but instead it's just two separate shuttles to Cork/Dublin services.

Inniskeen 17-08-2012 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by comcor (Post 68966)
I can't for the life of me understand why they don't at least run as far as Limerick Junction. That makes Cork, Kerry and Waterford one change away and makes the train the fastest public transport option. It's almost costless considering there are already Limerick-Limerick Junction services. Even better if they ran through, but at least make the connections possible.

By and large services do run through between the WRC and Limerick Junction although waiting time in Limerick is typically about 30 minutes. A through service from Galway to Waterford run to intercity standards and marketed accordingly would be a huge step forward.

neoncircles 17-08-2012 18:56

With the displacement of 2700's and arrival of more 22k's, many Limk-Galway services are now operated by 22ks, so the unsuitable train argument no longer applies. As you may expect, IE do not advertise this fact at all..... However this a tremendous waste when you consider the overcrowding which exists on other 22k operated links nationwide

Inniskeen 17-08-2012 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by neoncircles (Post 68974)
With the displacement of 2700's and arrival of more 22k's, many Limk-Galway services are now operated by 22ks, so the unsuitable train argument no longer applies. As you may expect, IE do not advertise this fact at all..... However this a tremendous waste when you consider the overcrowding which exists on other 22k operated links nationwide

Where is all this overcrowding ? Most services that I see/travel on, particularly into and out of Heuston have buckets of capacity. I know there have been long standing issues with the 1315 from Westport and the reduced formation Cork sets are occasionally a bit challenged when making connection to/from Kerry. Several Belfast services are routinely overcrowded, particularly the 1035 to Dublin. 3-car ICRs are sometimes a bit overwhelmed on the Dublin/Rosslare line, although this is not particularly common given the large drop in business on this route.

neoncircles 18-08-2012 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inniskeen (Post 68978)
Where is all this overcrowding ? Most services that I see/travel on, particularly into and out of Heuston have buckets of capacity. I know there have been long standing issues with the 1315 from Westport and the reduced formation Cork sets are occasionally a bit challenged when making connection to/from Kerry. Several Belfast services are routinely overcrowded, particularly the 1035 to Dublin. 3-car ICRs are sometimes a bit overwhelmed on the Dublin/Rosslare line, although this is not particularly common given the large drop in business on this route.

They are the exact overcrowding situations I'm referring to