Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Broombridge via Leap Card (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=14833)

JiveCork 09-07-2013 15:50

Broombridge via Leap Card

Firstly let me apologise for adding to the saga that is Broombrige on this board but I have a question I can't find an answer to elsewhere.

I've recently moved into the South Finglas area and started work down in Grand Canal Dock. There is a good bus system linking the two but I'd prefer to travel by train. It was after my first trip into Broombridge back from the dock I found out just how bad the current situation is and more importantly that there is no validator at the station.

Now the thing is I'd like to make this journey to work in the morning from Broombridge to Grand Canal Dock on a regular basis since the rough element won't be around at that time of day and I'll have an early start. Am I to understand that there is no way at all for me to use a Leap Card to or from Broombridge? And if that is the case since there is no traditional ticket machine (which of course will cost more but could be worth it if I'm in a rush) in Broombridge how do I legally make a journey from the station?

Also since the Broombridge Luas line is in the works will the station actually be moving to Liffey Junction as was rumoured in other threads and will we as rail passengers realistically be waiting for this until 2017 (or whenever the launch of the line is).

It's a lot of questions but there is very little info out there and I'm hoping the hive mind here can help.

Colm Moore 09-07-2013 16:04

There is a procedure.

Send an e-mail to info@irishrail.ie explaining the situation.

Jack O'Neill 09-07-2013 17:38

There are two Post Type Leap validators in Broombridge - one at the bottom of the ramp on the city bound side, the other at the exit rocks on the Cabra side. The are both turned backwards - presumably to stop the local gentry from taking a flying leap at them!

I don't know if they are operational though - perhaps someone could enlighten us here.

Mark Gleeson 09-07-2013 17:38

Or call 1850 211 777 09.00-17.30 Mon to Fri

Note it will have to be an Irish Rail smartcard, Leap cannot be used from Broombridge, but a specially issues Irish Rail smartcard can be used

You will be asked to provide evidence of residency/employment in the Broombridge area

Mark Gleeson 09-07-2013 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack O'Neill (Post 71852)
I don't know if they are operational though - perhaps someone could enlighten us here.

The validators are not fitted, the posts are actually in the normal position, but with a blank plate fitted. The validators themselves probably could survive but the local vandals destroyed the technical cubicle within minutes of its installation

Jack O'Neill 10-07-2013 06:00

Okay, Thanks Mark.

bg07 10-07-2013 09:57

As part of the new luas line works a major upgrade to irish rail's broombridge station is planned with a new pedestrian bridge and lifts etc. (according to the railway order drawings anyway). I presume ticketing facilities will be provided as part of that (presumably along with better security)

Mark Gleeson 10-07-2013 10:11

The Luas stop will more or less solve the problem as the huge green area currently much loved by the vandals for escape will be built on.

It will be a Luas depot as well, so there will be 24 on site security and a high turnover of staff coming and going

It also solves the mystery of getting from Dunboyne to the city

joey 15-07-2013 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 71871)

It also solves the mystery of getting from Dunboyne to the city

What is the mystery?

Colm Moore 15-07-2013 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey (Post 71911)
What is the mystery?

No direct trains, as the best offering is Docklands.