Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Dublin Belfast (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Enterprise "Technical Problem" (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=866)

James Shields 29-06-2006 09:48

Enterprise "Technical Problem"

This morning I was nice and early for the 8:20 Enterprise from Drogheda (AFAIR departs Belfast 6:50) to Connolly. At about 8:23 when everyone was expectently lined up along the platform it was announced that the train was approx 30 minutes late due to technical problems with the train, and the next train to Dublin would be the 8:32 commuter train.

Presumably this information was not exactly news. Even if NIR hadn't been in touch, somebody must have noticed when the train didn't show up in Dundalk (and I suspect that the information may well have been on Translink's website). So why do they wait until the last minute to tell people about the delay? Are they hoping that a steam train of old will magically appear on the viaduct? They must have known by about 8:10 that the Enterprise wasn't going to make it. If they made the announcement every few minutes from this point on, there wouldn't have been a mad dash over the bridge.

When the 8:32 reached Malahide, it was announced that it would terminate at Connolly. I presume this was to replace the 9:30 northbound Enterprise.

There seem to have been a rediculous amount of problems with the Enterprise in the last few weeks. Is it the weather?

Mark Gleeson 29-06-2006 10:20

Mains power failure between Lisburn and Moira has shut signalling down causing delays

The train could have broken down between Dundalk and Drogheda

Edit the 8:32 did indeed operate back to Belfast though its not shown on the translink website. Having reviewed the information it its clear that

1) The 6:50 Belfast Dublin failed south of Newry but before Drogheda
2) NIR did not update their page since it was off their radar
3) IE did'nt tell NIR that a 29K was on its way as the 9:30

MrX 29-06-2006 14:07

Isn't all train signalling backed up with a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) of some sort?!

It'd seem a little worrying if a power outage could take signals off line!!!!:confused: :confused:

Mark Gleeson 29-06-2006 14:15

All IE CTC relay rooms have a back up generator some of the newer ones eg Heuston have full UPS to allow a smooth switch over. I have no info on NIR

It could be a level crossing that went wallop

From the info it appears the train did suffer a onboard issue south of Newry

No signal = red signal

Red Alert 01-07-2006 21:03

Onboard issue = HEP burning out of locomotive? Expect to see a lot of these as the 201's age.

Mark Gleeson 01-07-2006 21:06

HEP fault is normally terminal, ie need a tow the predominant fault currently is the parking brake sensor which can immobilise a train

To be fair to Irish Rail the instance of HEP problems has reduced significantly

MrX 01-07-2006 21:13

Are the Enterprise coaches 125mph capable? (just curious)

Mark Gleeson 01-07-2006 21:23

165kph

MrX 01-07-2006 21:40

Ah. that would explain the suspension spec!! They're low-speed bogies.

I wonder if they could be replaced?