Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Commuter Services (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Train Drivers and Engineers Checking Tickets? (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=14751)

Jack Funk 11-04-2013 12:36

Train Drivers and Engineers Checking Tickets?

I've been told that all managers across Irish Rail have been asked to get volunteers from their staff to go out and check tickets on a nightly basis by the new CEO, what are the reasons behind this does anyone know?
Surely all this will do is cause friction between the ticket checkers/RPU and the rest of the staff? Does thsi mean the Ticket Checkers will be driving trains!!!

Jamie2k9 11-04-2013 13:03

Good idea you often see the security on the Luas checking tickets from people they know won't have them and kick them off.

Quote:

Surely all this will do is cause friction between the ticket checkers/RPU and the rest of the staff?
Don't see how it will as they can't be on every service everyday, random checkes are the way to go.

Mark Gleeson 11-04-2013 15:51

This is not a new idea per say. It was looked at previously. For a long time we have held the view that fare evasion was rampant off peak.

There are a few managers and engineers who are trained to drive DART trains...

grainne whale 12-04-2013 12:43

The RPU accompanied by the Stasi were at Hazelhatch station on Wed. evening all 15 of them, talk about overkill. Of couse every passenger had their ticket. The funny thing about it was that there were two drunks causing trouble on the train and they failed to spot them - A bit like the Kitcat advert with the Panda's.:eek:

grainne whale 12-04-2013 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 (Post 71232)
Good idea you often see the security on the Luas checking tickets from people they know won't have them and kick them off.

Don't see how it will as they can't be on every service everyday, random checkes are the way to go.

Nasty, and vindictive.

Mark Gleeson 12-04-2013 12:59

There have been numerous incidents of passengers assaulting ticket checking staff so they tend to move around in largish groups.

Also more staff means faster checking

grainne whale 12-04-2013 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 71236)
There have been numerous incidents of passengers assaulting ticket checking staff so they tend to move around in largish groups.

Also more staff means faster checking

Maybe on late night trains, in ALL the years I have been commuting I had NEVER seen that. Transport police would be more suitable instead of a private army.

Jamie2k9 12-04-2013 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by grainne whale (Post 71235)
Nasty, and vindictive.

well they only target the scum which is great.

grainne whale 16-04-2013 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 (Post 71238)
well they only target the scum which is great.

It depends what you mean by 'scum', you need to widen your vocabulary.

Jamie2k9 16-04-2013 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by grainne whale (Post 71263)
It depends what you mean by 'scum', you need to widen your vocabulary.

Manily people who are off thier heads.

Colm Moore 18-04-2013 16:43

I'm wondering are driver + ticket checker really need on services like Ennis-Athenry, especially as stations have ticket machines.

Thomas Ralph 18-04-2013 16:49

Yes, otherwise people won't buy a ticket!

Colm Moore 18-04-2013 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph (Post 71274)
Yes, otherwise people won't buy a ticket!

But surely one driver can check 5 tickets in the space of two hours? :)

Mark Gleeson 18-04-2013 20:32

Have checked with Irish Rail about this, new CEO has adopted a zero tolerance high impact policy towards fare evasion

Management including CEO have been out checking tickets.

The Broombridge sting operation is doing well...

We have long argued that passengers are the only source of revenue and there should be a firm and highly visible focus on fare evasion which in turn brings significant benefits to the bottom line, discourages anti-social behavour and strengthens customer confidence

grainne whale 23-04-2013 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 71276)
Have checked with Irish Rail about this, new CEO has adopted a zero tolerance high impact policy towards fare evasion

Management including CEO have been out checking tickets.

The Broombridge sting operation is doing well...

We have long argued that passengers are the only source of revenue and there should be a firm and highly visible focus on fare evasion which in turn brings significant benefits to the bottom line, discourages anti-social behavour and strengthens customer confidence

Is this a modern management style - surely the cost of this operation greatly outweighs the benefit. I'm a regular commuter, only rarely do I see a fare evader.

Jamie2k9 23-04-2013 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by grainne whale (Post 71295)
Is this a modern management style - surely the cost of this operation greatly outweighs the benefit. I'm a regular commuter, only rarely do I see a fare evader.

Happens most off peak so its worth doing it even if did does cost more.

Mark Gleeson 23-04-2013 13:56

I've seen the RPU doing checks on my way home last Friday, Monday and Tuesday...

grainne whale 23-04-2013 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 (Post 71304)
Happens most off peak so its worth doing it even if did does cost more.

Logical, I suppose, that why our transport system is in the state it is. Most stations (on the Kildare Route) are not manned at weekends. ie they won't pay the staff. Do they count those passengers who can't get a ticket then as fare evaders.

grainne whale 23-04-2013 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 71305)
I've seen the RPU doing checks on my way home last Friday, Monday and Tuesday...

.....and how many fare evaders did they catch.

Jamie2k9 23-04-2013 14:41

Quote:

Logical, I suppose, that why our transport system is in the state it is. Most stations (on the Kildare Route) are not manned at weekends. ie they won't pay the staff. Do they count those passengers who can't get a ticket then as fare evaders.
There are TMV's no excuse...