Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Gorey-Arklow-Wicklow Line (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   28/1/08 06.00 Gorey To Dublin Connolly (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=3707)

Edward Ryan 28-01-2008 14:15

28/1/08 06.00 Gorey To Dublin Connolly

Another great morning for the 06.00 train. I boarded the train at 05.55 and settled down for the journey. Six O clock passed and no movement from the train. The Arklow to Rosslare harbour sat on the opposite platform its driver was out looking down at the side of his train.

Shortly after the driver of the 06.00 train came on the PA. Due to a problem with the Rosslare train everyone was to get off our train as it was now to be sent to Rosslare!!

Our former train departed for Rosslare while all Dublin bound passangers had to wait on the platform while the train crew attempted to fix our "new" train.

The train finally left Gorey at 06.41 with only 3 out of the 4 carrages in use. With the train now running over 40 min late many passangers who turned up for the Rosslare to Dundalk now packed into the train. By Rathdrum many people were standing. At Wicklow the driver announced the this was the 06.00 train and that the other train was only 15 min behind this train with plenty of room but to no avail. The train was jammed leaving Wicklow.

No reason other than a carrage fault was given for the back carrage being locked out of use. The train finally got into Connolly just after 08.40.

Ed

KSW 28-01-2008 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ryan (Post 29953)
The train finally left Gorey at 06.41 with only 3 out of the 4 carrages in use. With the train now running over 40 min late many passangers who turned up for the Rosslare to Dundalk now packed into the train.

By Rathdrum many people were standing. At Wicklow the driver announced the this was the 06.00 train and that the other train was only 15 min behind this train

If the train left Gorey 06:41 what about the scheduled 06:45 arriving into Gorey via Dundalk from Rosslare there is only 4mins between them. At Wicklow how on Earth did the 06:45 manage to lose 15mins from the 4mins?

Thanks for posting that Ed!!

Edward Ryan 28-01-2008 20:11

As the 05.44 Arklow to Rosslare Harbour was delayed at Gorey with the change of train I doubt the Rosslare To Dundalk train arrived at Gorey on time this morning as these two trains were to pass each other at Enniscorthy so the Dundalk train had to have being delayed.

I also doubt that both trains would be allowed to follow with each other with just four min between them. Mark could answer that question for us.

Ed

Mark Gleeson 28-01-2008 20:46

Only one train per single track section at a time, looking at at least 12 minutes between them

shweeney 31-01-2008 14:49

bizarre that they prioritised the Arklow-Rosslare (which I suspect is a ghost service) over the well-used Gorey-Connolly.

Were there any passengers on the Arklow-Rosslare at all?

Colm Moore 31-01-2008 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by shweeney (Post 30143)
bizarre that they prioritised the Arklow-Rosslare (which I suspect is a ghost service)

AFAIK, this is used to form a later journey that serves all the stops.

KSW 31-01-2008 19:14

Good question!!
The 05:44 Arklow/Rosslare it does'nt matter if this service has no passengers as its the 07:40 Rosslare/Dublin service. What if the 17:25 was also brought to Rosslare and terminated there it then operates the 05:35 the next morning. The 18:37 still travels to Rosslare and thats the 07:40 the next morning. If the 18:37 train can stay at Rosslare and operate the next morning then the 17:25 can manage it. This saves the crazy early train coming from Dublin to Arklow/Rosslare. (This is on a different related thread)

There is one questin that remains to be answered but in the next timetable(Rosslare) will this line see diferent times than the ones now. (i.e)The last train leaves Connolly at 19:**