Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Intercity and Regional (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Rail & Sail (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=1646)

Navan Junction 11-12-2006 19:55

Rail & Sail

The Stenaline website says that it is possible says that it is possible to book a sail and rail ticket from Dublin to Glasgow.

However, when you contact the booking office at the number on your website they that it was not possible despite this message on their site:

'Fares apply from Dublin (Connolly Station) to any station within the zone listed. Stations shown in the price grids are a small sample of the destinations available - please call us for more details.'

http://www.stenaline.ie/stena_line/s...b/by_rail.html

False advertising?

zag 11-12-2006 21:17

I'm confused

Which bit can you not book ? I booked a sail & rail ticket to North Wales a few weeks ago. The ticket (or the receipt) was pretty clearly marked as being to 'zone a' or whichever zone it was.

Is it that they say you can't book to Glasgow in particular, or you can't book on the date you want to travel ?

I just looked at the link and I see it is for Larne-Stranraer sailings and so is different than the ticket I had booked, but the principle is the same.

z

Mark Gleeson 11-12-2006 21:44

London Dublin via Dun Laoghaire works I know that, and its cheap

packetswitch 11-12-2006 22:15

It is possible. In fact, there are three different ways to book a ticket Dublin-Glasgow:

(a) via Belfast/Stranraer (quickest)
(b) via Dublin/Holyhead or DL/Holyhead (cheapest)
(c) via Rosslare/Fishguard (not for the faint-hearted, expect about 12 hours on a train or in fact trains...)

Unfortunately it seems as if the most reliable way of getting your hands on a ticket is via the CIE travel office on Abbey St (or by ringing them). They actually issue the tickets with handwritten coupons, which is quaint but embarrassing.

I've done Dublin to various UK points over the last year, never had a problem with tickets. They will sell the return leg too (although prices are on a one-way basis). IF you're in the UK and trying to buy a ticket, most reasonably well-staffed station offices can issue the ticket (there's a full section in the National Fares Manual over there dealing with ship/rail tickets of various types).

http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm has lots of information on your options (although from a UK perspective, so London-Dublin times come before Dublin-London, don't get caught by that!). I contributed a little bit of this page, but the site admin is a serious mine of information on international rail travel (whether leisure or business).

Apparently you can also buy the sail/rail tickets at the port, if you're starting with a ferry (i.e. Dublin Port-Holyhead-London), but I've never tried it.

Finally remember that the pricing is by zone (on both sides), so sometimes if you have time you can really get a nice trip out of it (i.e. the one-way via Holyhead ranges between €30 and €39 during the winter, but that €39 would get you as far as Inverness or Aberdeen if you wanted it, as everything beyond a certain point is all in the one, huge zone.

Navan Junction 11-12-2006 22:52

Stenaline won't allow you to travel by rail from Dublin to Belfast on the Sail & Rail ticket, despite the sample timetable at that link.

I got a Sail and rail last sat but only from Belfast onwards to Glasgow.

They wouldn't allow it to start from Connolly as advertised.

I bought a normal ticket for the Drogheda - Belfast stretch.

Holyhead to Glasgow by train is 7hrs btw, with 3 changes and a longer crossing time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by packetswitch (Post 15041)
Unfortunately it seems as if the most reliable way of getting your hands on a ticket is via the CIE travel office on Abbey St (or by ringing them).

Cheers - will check them out..

packetswitch 11-12-2006 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navan Junction (Post 15044)
Stenaline won't allow you to travel by rail from Dublin to Belfast on the Sail & Rail ticket, despite the sample timetable at that link.

Hmm, next time try IÉ, it's definitely possible...

Quote:

I got a Sail and rail last sat but only from Belfast onwards to Glasgow.

They wouldn't allow it to start from Connolly as advertised.
If you (or anyone) has an issue with this in the future, point to the UK National Fares Manual, supplementary section D on Shipping Links. http://www.atoc.org/retail/_download...RLsectionD.pdf . The relevant fares are on page D27. Stena act as agents for the National Rail system or for IÉ as appropriate so they are just not reading their books correctly.

(Yes I know these are UK fares but the IÉ practice is just to follow them and use the agreed Euro amounts)

Quote:

Holyhead to Glasgow by train is 7hrs btw, with 3 changes and a longer crossing time.
Yup, but if you're broke and not in a hurry, it's fun ;) and at best, it's 5h30 and just a change at Crewe, plus 1h45 for a fast ferry.

Navan Junction 12-12-2006 09:02

Stenaline email correspondence...

From: Stena Line Travel Info Ireland [mailto:info.ie@stenaline.com]
Sent: 12 December 2006 08:51
Subject: [SPAM]RE: [SPAM]RE: Sail & Rail trip from Dublin to Glasgow via Blefast-Stranraer

Good afternoon,

All packages Stenaline offer are subject to availability,thank you for your enquiry.

Regards,

Stenaline.
cw

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 11 December 2006 19:11
To: Stena Line Travel Info Ireland
Subject: RE: [SPAM]RE: Sail & Rail trip from Dublin to Glasgow via Blefast-Stranraer

Is that not false advertising?

Regards,

From: Stena Line Travel Info Ireland [mailto:info.ie@stenaline.com]
Sent: 11 December 2006 14:21
Subject: [SPAM]RE: Sail & Rail trip from Dublin to Glasgow via Blefast-Stranraer

Good afternoon,

It is no longer possible to offer this package, we can arrange passage from Belfast to Glasgow as a rail and sail package, thank you for your enquiry.

Regards,

Stenaline.

cw

Sent: 11 December 2006 11:24
To: Stena Line Travel Info Ireland
Subject: Sail & Rail trip from Dublin to Glasgow via Blefast-Stranraer

Hi.

You website says that it is possible says that it is possible to book a sail and rail ticket from Dublin to Glasgow.

However, when I contacted your booking office at the number on your website they said that it was not possible.

Regards,

Donal Quinn 13-12-2006 19:54

i turned up in dunleary 40 mins before a sailing an bought a ticket through to carlisle - 42 euro no probs

byrneeo 12-05-2007 19:15

wait... if you just turn up at the ferry terminal on spec you can buy a sail and rail ticket there and then?

dermo88 12-05-2007 20:08

Yes, and its quite good if you have the time. Don't travel in a month with an "r" in it, you are more subject to weather delays.

Can you imagine how much an airline would charge for a walk on fare? You can choose when to go, there are few/no restrictions on usage, no peak time off peak fare loading.

This is slower, but it works well enough on Dublin/DunLaoghaire - Holyhead.

Just don't get stuck in Crewe on a Saturday night ...

Colm Donoghue 14-05-2007 09:23

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...46&postcount=5
:D

byrneeo 09-06-2007 10:08

question: i want to go to cardiff from dublin. now i know dublin-holyhead-cardiff works, but does the same ticket allow for dublin-rosslare-fishguard/pembroke-cardiff?

plus, are those ports as rail integrated as holyhead? i emailed europeanrail@irishrail.ie but of course got no answer.

James Shields 09-06-2007 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by byrneeo (Post 21882)
question: i want to go to cardiff from dublin. now i know dublin-holyhead-cardiff works, but does the same ticket allow for dublin-rosslare-fishguard/pembroke-cardiff?

plus, are those ports as rail integrated as holyhead? i emailed europeanrail@irishrail.ie but of course got no answer.

I've done Cardiff-Dublin via Roslare, and it definitely makes more sense than Holyhead on a map. I would check journey planners (networkrail.co.uk are pretty good) to see which makes better time - it's often the waits for connections that are the killer rather than the time in transit. I'm not sure if the same ticket covers both, so check when booking.

I seem to recall years ago CIE had a dispute with whoever was running the boat, so they timed the trains so that you'd see the train waiting as the boat was coming in to port, and think, "that's great, I'll be home in time for tea." Then the train would pull off about five minutes before you'd actually dock and you'd have to wait four hours for the next one.

byrneeo 12-06-2007 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostcarpark (Post 21884)
I've done Cardiff-Dublin via Roslare, and it definitely makes more sense than Holyhead on a map. I would check journey planners (networkrail.co.uk are pretty good) to see which makes better time - it's often the waits for connections that are the killer rather than the time in transit. I'm not sure if the same ticket covers both, so check when booking.

I seem to recall years ago CIE had a dispute with whoever was running the boat, so they timed the trains so that you'd see the train waiting as the boat was coming in to port, and think, "that's great, I'll be home in time for tea." Then the train would pull off about five minutes before you'd actually dock and you'd have to wait four hours for the next one.

still the same i think re boat/train times... but does your sailrail ticket include dublin-rosslare leg?

91101_GNER 26-08-2007 17:43

SailRail tickets are not quota specific, and so you should never be refused them. The best thing to do is call SailRail themselves, which are operated either by Arriva Trains Wales or ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies) on 08450 755 755 (Thats a UK number though) and they can send the tickets out in the post.

I've just gotten a ticket for £80 from Birmingham New Street to Cork, inclusive of crossing to put that in context, from Birmingham New Street to Holyhead alone is £51.20 for a "Saver return" and I believe that on average Dublin-Cork is about €30 so its definatly very, very cheap from the UK perspective.

packetswitch 26-08-2007 18:12

Aye but you still got ripped off ;) the set price from Birmingham to Dublin is £24 or €39 no restrictions...typical that doing a journey with two tickets is cheaper than doing it as one!

Mark Gleeson 26-08-2007 18:26

Cork - Birmingham is

UK Zone C is 39 euro
IE Zone C add on which is 20 euro

So single its 59 euro, a Dublin Cork single is currently 31 euro which is stunning value

So all in return is 118 euro which is less than 80 sterling

packetswitch 26-08-2007 18:57

Whoops sorry my mistake, I thought you said you were charged £80 B'ham to Cork, but obviously re-reading it it was £80 return (right?), which (as Mark has just worked out above) is great value.

Never mind me.

91101_GNER 26-08-2007 23:10

Yes, it is a return. I'm impressed with the price, particularly of my Enterprise leg, which was €90 for a return from Dublin - Belfast first class or £63. However a comparable journey, say London - Birmingham would cost the average person in the UK would be £201 or €296!

packetswitch 26-08-2007 23:32

It would be great, then, if you could give us some of your ideas of how the service measures up to what you're more familiar with, after you take the trips!

Things like the quality of food/drink/etc, the comfort of the journey, the attitudes of staff, how user-friendly the stations are, etc. (But please, no locomotive chat ;) )

Personally I have mixed feelings about the Birmingham to London (Virgin) but I haven't had the pleasure of first class...

Mark Gleeson 26-08-2007 23:38

But at least in the UK the train would actually

1. Travel at a sustained speed in excess of 100mph, best enterprise can manage is 90mph, Cork well 100mph if lucky

2. It would be on time, enterprise is notorious for delays. It got to a point where there are three different timetables all valid with different times. Cork the timetable is so padded god only knows when you actually arrive.

3. UK staff understand customer service, Irish Rail staff in the majority don't care. Funny isn't that 3 of the 4 managers at the senior operational level are from where? They are all ex BR men

Irish fares in the majority are not comparable in service level terms

Upside well at least IE buy decent hardware our Mk4 may be shaky but its so much better than the rather horrible Pendolino and the new intercity railcars will make the voyagers look quite poor.

91101_GNER 26-08-2007 23:57

I don't know if its because I know the UK "system" inside and out, from tickets and fares, discount rates (everything from Young Persons Railcards, Family Railcards, to Staff Privildege "Priv" cards) to how the industry is structured as a business, and as a proposition to passengers.

My railway interest is in the business and operational aspects rather than rolling stock and traction.

One thing that immediately comes to mind which is a sharp contrast is that of clarity of information, I book a ticket in the UK, and I can find out all of the restrictions and conditions that apply to that ticket. When I did it on IE's website, it had general conditions of carriage, but there wasn't a lot else that was clear.

Our journey planner, which ATOC run at www.nationalrail.co.uk is more seamless than IE's website, and there is a greater degree on information abotu the onboard catering offer than I've found on IE's website thus far.

IE don't seem to be on a relentlesss push to force their passengers into advance purchase tickets, and fares are much more affordable. For me to go to London from Newcastle it's £200 return for an open (well for me its acoutally about £50, but the average Joe on the street its over £200).

We also have 24hour train information, live with a real person through 08457484950. It's not perfect but its a very, very good service.

Mark Gleeson 27-08-2007 07:58

Rail and Sail are sold under the international CIV rules so the IE terms and conditions don't actually apply

The rule book is hidden from public view lest the public use it to their advantage http://www.platform11.org/resources/...riage_2004.pdf

Ronald Binge 27-08-2007 09:51

I'm well familiar with CIE's interpretation of the Sail Rail rules. Since the early 1980s I've travelled most years from Dublin to London via Dun Laoghaire and Holyhead, and like the paper coupon tickets nothing has really changed regarding ticketing.

CIE in Middle Abbey Street will not sell you a through ticket from Dublin to London, simply from Dun Laoghaire to London.

I've argued the point with them that you can buy tickets in London Euston through to Dublin valid on the DART but to no avail. Instead, prior to my becoming an annual rail and Luas commuter they sold me a day rambler instead.

A bit mad.

ThomasJ 15-04-2009 11:33

Hi folks, sorry to drag this thread back up but I am attending a football match in wembley on sunday and am travelling from London Euston back to Dublin Ferryport via crewe and the 02:40 Irish ferries sailing,

Has anyone any suggestions?

Traincustomer 17-04-2009 11:09

suggested times

According to Irish Ferries current (2009) SailRail leaflet (available from them and travel agents or as a PDF on their website) the times are Depart London Euston 2010 and change at Chester (depart there 2256) arriving Caergybi(Holyhead) 0111. This is marked as the connecting train for the 0240 Cruise Ferry departure. This sailing is usually highly reliable as it's operated by the MV Ulysses. Have a good trip.
PS: I suggest checking these times with www.nationalrail.co.uk in case of any engineering work/bus transfers on any part of the route. Or e-mail Irish Ferries at sailrail@irishferries.com
You probably know there's a Dublin Bus service which meets the ferry. Fare €2.50. All the best

ThomasJ 18-04-2009 01:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavanrailbus (Post 44193)
According to Irish Ferries current (2009) SailRail leaflet (available from them and travel agents or as a PDF on their website) the times are Depart London Euston 2010 and change at Chester (depart there 2256) arriving Caergybi(Holyhead) 0111. This is marked as the connecting train for the 0240 Cruise Ferry departure. This sailing is usually highly reliable as it's operated by the MV Ulysses. Have a good trip.
PS: I suggest checking these times with www.nationalrail.co.uk in case of any engineering work/bus transfers on any part of the route. Or e-mail Irish Ferries at sailrail@irishferries.com
You probably know there's a Dublin Bus service which meets the ferry. Fare €2.50. All the best

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it! :)

ThomasJ 20-04-2009 06:19

phew that was a close one!

, It all went to plan on the way with the flight and the tube connection to wembley with the 15-20 was in wembley with 30-40 minutes to spare! grand!

Coming back from London last night/overnight, Stayed for the extra time and penalties! with the long walk back to wembley park station and two tubes to take to euston square and a 2-3 minute to euston station i arrived at euston with 5 minutes to spare train started boarding and i wwas only getting my sailrail ticket! arrived to the gates being shut and if i hadnt have told the guard i was making a connection to dublin i wasnt getting on that train!

got to crewe on time for the holyhead connection arrived just before 1 in holyhead and left on time from holyhead sleeping soundly through the journey and got back into dublin for 6 and bus connection into aston quay arr 6.30
preparing for work now!

Not going to talk about the match or result :(

Traincustomer 04-05-2009 19:49

Just saw your post today as I haven't looked at the Forum much recently.Glad your trip went ok.

ThomasJ 26-05-2009 16:50

I have to say have been taking a few trips over by boat over the last few weeks and heres how I faired:

Prices for foot passengers connections
Irish Ferries & onward connection to manchester around €75
Stena line & bus eireann to manchester €72
Norfolk line €140 Dublin Liverpool (and that didn't even include Liverpool-Manchester!

Getting/buying tickets:
Irish Ferries & Rail - No bother, got from Connolly station!

Stena Line & BE - Could only get a single from busaras their allocation were sold out! got the return leg from the coach station.

Norfolk line- Website fares are cheaper, phone onsite purchasing sets you back with a €25 booking fee on top of things! My experience was the tickets were sold out but I found out only the cabins were! The cabins were default at 1 and read-only on the page and i had to go to the next day change this to 0 and go back to the day i wished to book. It then told me I had to select a cabin even though i said "0" cabins. There was no option of n/a and because of this I couldn't book the trip! :mad: So I had to book at the port (phone bookings were closed!) Total price premium fare, (you had no other choice for the evening sailing but the evening and breakfast meal were included!) €140 :eek: :mad:

On-board experience

Irish Ferries & rail- No problems on the train, virgin express had a shop on board and flew in change at chester arriva trains in wales hadn't but boy did it fly! i felt like we were taking off it was at the top speed alot. Irish ferries was grand had breakfast (at that hour of the morning! yes) slept in the bar area- alot of cowches and reclining seats as well upstairs- brilliant! bar and shop stayed open throughout the trip until the end!

Bus eireann/national express & stenaline- No problem here either. The bus trip took about 5 hours (because of stops etc) but had a great sleep on the coach (wasn't the same coach all the way, private operator to holyhead, then change to bus eireann) The ship was more or less the same as irish ferries but more or offer food wise etc. Pity you cant take the overnight stena ferry with the rail option. it doesnt take foot passengers.

Norfolk line- As a foot passenger, I hated it! :mad: There were 3 foot passengers in total! On board the shop was a small area beside the front desk and there was no bureau de change was explained that norfolkline havent a licence to operate the cash. the resturaunt opened for the evening for an hour or two the meal was ok not great. Everything shut down by about 11:30-12:00. jsut slept on the couch. We were called for breakfast around 5 were late getting into birkenhead because of the space/allocation issues got in at around 6-6.30. In at birkenhead port £15 between the 3 of us £10 for a ticket Liverpool-manchester. even though I had the return ticket I chose not to return that way go by coach instead! I wont be going that way in future!

My recommendations would sail and rail or coach and sail with irish ferries or stena line with rail/bus connections

plant43 26-07-2009 07:55

Planning Dublin-Holyhead-Portsmouth in September. Does anyone know if Sail & Rail is subsidised in any way? It's a wonder how it can be so cheap.

ThomasJ 27-07-2009 12:00

i was actually wondering that myself! Its great value.

Going to england and scotland a few times in the coming months/year and it will be my preferred option!

Am looking forward to travelling to Edinburgh (via belfast-stranraer) soon!

Colm Moore 27-07-2009 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by plant43 (Post 47489)
Planning Dublin-Holyhead-Portsmouth in September. Does anyone know if Sail & Rail is subsidised in any way? It's a wonder how it can be so cheap.

I think its down to whatever historical agreements were there with Stena and British Rail.

Eddie 20-09-2009 01:38

It's cheap relative to a walk-on flight fare, but not to a well-planned one.

From memory, there were no single fares before 2004 and Rail & Sail would have been competitive only if bought as a return fare. Trouble is, with fewer fast ferry sailings out of Dublin / Dun Laoghaire, finding appropriate sailings to both leave and arrive at your destination at the time of your choosing and without a long wait in Holyhead in both directions is difficult. So for practical reasons, maybe some Rail & Sail passengers get a single and come back by air.

Bring back an early morning sailing from Dublin / Dun Laoghaire and a later evening one from Holyhead!

Sealink 04-04-2010 23:20

www.raileasy.co.uk sells RailSail tickets and also book passage on the relevent ferry when required (usually prebooking only applies to the Irish Ferries "Swift" and Stena fast craft). They do charge a booking fee, and a credit card fee, but I believe they will post tickets (they certainly have a list of countries showing in the address field)

ThomasJ 16-04-2010 10:52

any thoughts on making this thread a sticky (and maybe have the first post as important information) for the duration of the disruption

trying to find this information on the irish rail website is like trying to find a needle in a haystack

dowlingm 16-04-2010 11:48

might be worth putting an alert on railusers.ie front page too.

Mark Gleeson 16-04-2010 12:22

IE are not selling currently, must go to ferry companies direct who are up to their neck in bookings

Rail capacity on the UK side is not able to cope currently with the numbers, even the small sea cat can take 560 passengers, HSS and Ulysses 1500 and 2000

ThomasJ 16-04-2010 12:52

according to rte, stena line saying all foot passenger spaces for dun laoghaire route fully booked out for today and tomorrow.

Mark Gleeson 16-04-2010 13:05

They don't have a proper gangway from the sea cat in DL you have to board via the car deck on foot!

If arriving by rail follow the sign for platform 3, (turn left as you pass through the turnstiles), down the stairs and use the rear exit to access the ferry terminal, saves a good few minutes as its not clear from the front entrance how to get to the ferry