View Single Post
Unread 12-09-2006, 17:15   #6
MrX
Really Regular Poster

I just hope IE and CAF fix this fairly soon though. The ride should be pretty comparable to the MK3 once everything's adjusted correctly!

The British Rail MK4 had similar issues when it launched and their flirtation with real high speed, the APT genuinely did make passengers throw-up, so much so that it got terrible press which possibly played a strong part in its abandonment.

I wonder did the early MK3s have issues too in the UK? Their suspension seems to be very well tuned to poor quality rails. I'd imagine this was achieved over a few months or longer of tweaks and modifications given that that's how engineering tended to be done in those days, you couldn't and still can't model everything.

I also suspect this is part of the hazard of Ireland's non standard guage too. We can't just pick a standard model off the shelf that's tried and tested.

However, IE seem too fond of the "frankentrain" i.e. a a non atriculated TGV with weird bogies and a fright loco at one end to Belfast and now the Cork-Dublin Express which really ought to have a pair of power cars.