View Single Post
Unread 13-09-2006, 12:29   #10
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Default On an optimistic note---

The CDE ride has, on occasion, been quite acceptable. This demonstrates to me that there is some kind of a configuration issue or other underlying problem rather than a fundemental flaw with the train itself.

I wouldn't see how it's not CAFs fault though as they did design the mechanical aspects of the damn thing!

There's no point in complaining about the 201 loco causing the issue. The simple fact is that this should have been taken into account in the design of the train and resolved through appropriate coupling etc. IE specified that they were using the 201 locos from day one the designers should have made certain that there were no strange interactions with the loco. You can't blaim IE or GM for that, the locos are fine and doing their job as per their specification the train clearly isn't.

To say that the trains are not happy with their locos or with the irish tracks is to say that CAF didn't do their job properly at the design stage. Simple logic being they were ordered to partner 201 locos + run on the cork-dublin line. If they're incapable of doing this without jumping all over the place, someone ought to be looking for their money back!

Despite all the complaints about the 201 on this board, they do their job extremely reliably on all IE services. The enterprise is again, a case of poor specification and overloading of the loco's HEP function. Lets not forget *ALL* Irish trains other than the enterprise generate their own power the loco simply provides the motive force.

I strongly suspect you could count the number of failed non enterprise trains, caused by the 201s on your hand since their introduction. They're pretty reliable other than when misused.

These trains should simply do exactly what they were supposed to do in the spec. No arguments, excuses or pussyfooting about should be accepted. They're very expensive peices of kit and we shouldn't have to settle for poor ride. I just hope that IE get value for money out of them and insist that these issues are resolved.

Could you imagine what would happen if Boeing delivered a load of 737s to Ryanair and they caused air sickness due to some configuration issue? I don't think they'd be getting warm fuzzy phonecalls from micheal o'leary somehow.

This is tax payers money and we deserve to get these things sorted out!

Last edited by MrX : 13-09-2006 at 12:40.