View Single Post
Unread 05-12-2007, 21:19   #36
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Despite the fact that most RUI members often critise Irish Rail, when somebody with foreign experience comes along and blasts the rail network here it appears that RUI members go on the defense somewhat.

When I come home and end up using the train/DART, I can honestly say that the experience is almost always disastrous, and I'm barely exaggerating when I say that.

Remember, if any one of us was faced with a 19th century railway network (as IE were in the 80's) and then given a wad of cash (Celtic Tiger) what would we do. At the very least we'd upgrade the tracks, signalling, stations, and trains. Childsplay really.

He hits the nail on the head on all that is wrong with the system.

I like your post, Obviously we are going to defend the Irish Rail Network because we use it and mainly we dont actually know what speed is[ ha ha ]
Compared to the TGV if you use it our rail network is last century trains.
About the 19th Century stuff well what can I say except God Bless Iarnrod Eireann for trying.
The system has its flaws but compared to other trains in the world its OnBoard Information is reasonability good and percise. (Example) Ladies and Gentlemen, Iarnrod Eireann welcomes you onboard. This is the nine hundred (09:00) hours train from Dublin Hueston to Cork serving Limerick Jnct, Charleville, Mallow and Cork. Your attention is drawn to the safey and evacuation notices. Thank you for your attention, Have a pleasant and comforable journey. Can I ask what is the french announcements but translated into English?..........