View Single Post
Unread 24-05-2008, 21:59   #80
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post

At this point few if any trains country wide are likely to operate tomorrow
Please spare me the damage limitation Colm. I've been there before and its a tough job. The above quote said it all and is the one I'm referring too. It was unnecessary and wrong. Perhaps a case of over eagerness instead of a cool head.

As I suggested last night, western drivers went back to work, while Dublin drivers stayed in work. Cork is where the real problem lies.There's lots of "insider" info available, but its best amalgamated to form an accurate assessment. But lets move on and be more positive.

I'll offer this up to readers. Dublin drivers are getting better treatment from IE management on the basis that they have the potential to cause real problems to hundreds of thousands. Western drivers supported Cork on the basis of a nationwide walk out that never happened, so they went back to work. Cork now stands alone. They have been divided and conquered by IE management. An end is in sight, but by numbers rather than real settlement. I have reason to believe that Cork is picked on by IE management, but nationwide there is still poor relations. Thats why I proposed a full inquiry into IE industrial relations proceedures. Morale is low in the Company. Its a time bomb. While I appreciate its historic arrangements and practises over the course of 60 years, management cannot expect to convert the company to "private sector" practises through provocation. What we have here is a classic example of old work ethics and public sector management trying to achieve a private sector result. It doesn't work that way. The Celtic Tiger has endowed a modern corporate way of working on IE management, but they have completely forgotten that it can't be applied by a hammer to a "traditional" industry with a long history.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote