View Single Post
Unread 05-02-2009, 17:24   #9
Traincustomer

I agree with you fully - things have deteriorated markedly with the duo of the new UK rail timetable since December and the HSS sailing schedule amendment. There is no longer the overnight connection ex Holyhead circa 2am. Also a lot more connections involve Holyhead to Chester, Chester to Crewe, Crewe on to Euston.Weekdays (Mon to Fri) there are four direct Virgin Trains services Holyhead to Euston and vice versa - averaging 3hrs 45mins end to end. Very good if they link up with the ferries.

There needs to be, I feel, more co-operation on this issue between the rail and ferry companies. Also as you say with barriers now at many stations - it is more covenient for all if the SailRail tickets can be issued on standard ticket cards.

The internet is great so are sales lines where one can book with a credit card. But a variety of ways of booking ticket products needs to be offered. The new plus the traditional. To my mind it's less than helpful to assume everyone will book by one particular method and provide no alternatives.
I say that in general for all travel modes.

Eurostar now has the facility to book a through ticket from Bangor (but not Holyhead) to certain destinations in Europe.

Short haul aviation to the extent that exists between our island and Great Britain is not sustainable. Better rail-ferry integration needs to be achieved Éire-Britain.

Last edited by Traincustomer : 06-02-2009 at 15:34. Reason: amendment
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote