View Single Post
Unread 04-12-2009, 19:46   #30
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Default It is beyond a Joke

Luckily I've been travelling for work this week so have only had to travel three times but every evening train I've been on has been a minimum of a half an hour late. I am now sitting in Mullingar at 19:43 on the 18:05 from Connolly.

I am fairly consistent about pestering them for vouchers for an hour delay but the one feature of the last month is that not one train I have been on has been an hour late. But pretty much every day I have spent an hour extra on the train between the two trips.

When they get the line re-opened I am going to start pestering them about claiming a partial refund for this. It isn't going to achieve anything but if everyone starts doing it, it will at least cost them some effort and stamps.

I know that basically there is nothing can be done to reopen the line until the floods drain, but a number of possible solutions spring to mind. They could look at having the up-trains leave Sligo 15 minutes early to ensure that the timings for meeting trains work. Perhaps just cancelling a mid-afternoon train each way for the duration would also allow the timings to catch up for the evening rush. Or just run one or two evening up trains all the way by bus to keep the way clear for the busy down-trains.

What particularly sticks in my craw is sitting in Killucan for 20 minutes to meet an up-train with about 15 passengers. Particularly when it takes about 7 minutes to get to Mullingar.

There! Rant over and I feel a bit better
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote