View Single Post
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:26   #265
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Default Sandymount to Gorey

I travelled from Sandymount to Gorey and back yesterday, with a change at Dun Laoghaire. 22000 class on the Dun Laoghaire-Gorey-Dun Laoghaire part, thankfully; I've had more than my fair share of 2800 journeys on that line.

Observations both ways
  • Toilets were absolutely rank. The cleaning schedule on each of the trains showed that the last cleaning was in May.
  • No catering, although I don't think it's scheduled.
  • Vile children screeching and shouting.
  • Although we had seat reservations, they were not honoured on either leg. The trains weren't busy (< 33% of capacity southbound and < 50% of capacity northbound), so it didn't especially matter.

Observations southbound
  • Train waited outside Bray for 5-6 minutes for the DART to clear the track.
  • Train was held for 10 minutes in Wicklow, about 7 minutes while waiting for the southbound train to clear the track and another 3 minutes waiting for the guy with a green flag to amble over the footbridge and wave the train out.
  • Few to no announcements of stations, and definitely no "next station ___" announcements once we got to Bray.
  • Did I mention the toilets? One was locked, another had an overflowing sink, and the third smelt absolutely abominable.
Observations northbound
  • No ticket inspection and indeed no onboard staff besides the driver.
  • Train thought it was going to Dundalk; driver killed the automated announcements halfway through the second calling of the list of stations.
  • Train held for 5 minutes at Arklow to await a passenger's arrival by car, which in turn delayed the southbound train at Wicklow.
  • Train doors closed very quickly at Dun Laoghaire, cue many complaints from people trying to get out, including a wheelchair passenger who was awaiting the ramp.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote