View Single Post
Unread 12-12-2010, 02:28   #96
cagey
New to the board

I have come late to this discussion, but if DART Underground is built with an easy grade separation option and combined with new signaling, then almost the whole system can be joined.
The fact that the Maynooth line is diesel is easily fixed with EDE (Electric/Diesel/Electric) or EDEMU (trains combined making a Multiple Unit). These trains can travel on Electric or Underground (turning off the diesel/electric). Now Maynooth line users can choose a train to St Stephens Green without an interchange as also current DART users from Raheny etc. can travel to Bray or St Stephens by choice.
A further advantage is that gaps (15 to 20 mins) in schedules (due to Mainline trains to Connolly not four-tracked) can be filled in the Dart Underground by Maynooth Trains to the City and on to Heuston.
The same applies to North-bound travellers from south of Pearse, who by choice could travel North or West (Maynooth).
Also current DART users to Tara or Connolly won't be shafted by DU and CIE may hold on to them.
There are a lot more advantages when you bring Metro North into the mix.

All the above requires is a small change to the proposed DU rails at West Road and diverting freight at Phibsborough, but I am not sure if bull-headed CIE will accept this ... we shall see.
I will try to show an image in here, but not sure I can.

Last edited by cagey : 12-12-2010 at 04:15.
cagey is offline   Reply With Quote