View Single Post
Unread 13-12-2011, 12:41   #122
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...309000619.html
Quote:
Smart card for transport users arrives after nine years with €55m price tag
AOIFE CARR

MORE THAN nine years after it was first proposed, a new €55 million integrated ticketing system for public transport in the greater Dublin area was officially launched yesterday.

The Leap card allows people to use bus, Luas, Dart and rail services in the capital with a single ticket. The cards can be bought at over 400 shops and newsagents or online at leapcard.ie.

A €5 refundable deposit is charged for an adult card and €3 for a child’s. A minimum travel credit of €5 must be placed on the card at the time of first purchase.

Travel credit works like phone credit. The card is topped up in multiples of €5 and the fare is deducted from the balance every time a journey is made. The card can be topped up in shops or online. The card was launched by Minister of State for Public Transport Alan Kelly, who said it followed 15,000 successful test journeys by members of the public.

“The card will be among the cheapest ways to get around Dublin and will make public transport more attractive. We hope the card will push people towards public transport.

“We hope up to 250,000 people will use it. We will have a media campaign in the new year. This is the future and it’s a bright future.”

Tim Gaston, a project director, said flexibility and convenience are the card’s greatest advantages for commuters. He said error rates in the new system were “exceptionally low” at less than half of 1 per cent of journeys.

The new system will continue to be developed throughout 2012 with new functionalities being added in phases. Bus Éireann and private bus operators will join the scheme in the new year and multiple tickets such as the Rambler and Travel 90 will be added to it.

There will be a link-up with the Department of Social Protection so that people entitled to free travel will receive a Leap card programmed with their details and therefore can avail of their free transport using the system.

Cards indicate how much credit is left after a journey is made. It issues a low-value warning when the balance is close to zero.

Users are being advised to register their Leap cards after they buy them at leapcard.ie. In this way, if a card is reported lost or stolen no one else can use it and the user is refunded the credit on the card.

The card – which has been in development for a number of years – will offer a 9 per cent saving on Dublin Bus fares, up to 17 per cent on certain Luas tickets, and between 16 and 19 per cent on single Iarnród Éireann fares.

Integrated ticketing was first put forward in 2002 by then minister for public enterprise Mary O’Rourke.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...309000572.html
Quote:
Customers' verdict: Information delay
AOIFE CARR

MARK GLEESON of Rail Users Ireland, a voluntary group that campaigns for better conditions for rail commuters, was involved in the testing of the Leap card system in February this year.

“There was a group of about 15 of us testing it and we were very happy with it. It worked flawlessly with just some minor quirks,” he said.

The main issue that arose during testing was that validator machines on Luas and rail platforms were taking too long to read the new cards.

“The radio inside the machine needed to be replaced because it wasn’t strong enough. That was fixed during the summer,” he said.

Another issue that can arise is when a person is carrying more than one smart card and the validator machine gets confused as to which card to read.

“This occurs on all travel systems like this worldwide,” says Mr Gleeson. “You just need to keep the cards at least an inch apart – for example not right beside each other in your wallet. If the machine does get confused you will get a message on the validator saying ’too many cards.’ The driver will also get that message.”

The main reaction to the new card from people waiting at the Luas stop on Abbey Street yesterday afternoon, however, was one of mystery. Most knew nothing about it. Students CaitrÍona Doyle and Tara Keating said it was definitely something they would be interested in but had heard nothing about it.

Bernadette Cooney also said she knew nothing about the new card. Colin Kiersey, who had just come back from Wexford, said: “I only know about it because someone happened to mention it to me yesterday. I would not know where to buy it.”

Another commuter, Eoin O’Connor, said he had heard about it on the radio but “wouldn’t have an idea where to buy one”.

“I wasn’t aware fares would be cheaper using it so I definitely would use it,” he said. Ann Smith said: “I would probably use it seeing as you can use it on both the bus and the Dart.”
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...309000520.html
Quote:
Q&A
AOIFE CARR

What is the Leap card?

It is a new integrated ticketing system for public transport in Dublin that allows you to use the bus, Luas, Dart and rail services using one ticket.

Where can I buy it?

In shops and newsagents bearing the Leap card sign. There are more than 400 of them in Dublin. Or you can buy them online at leapcard.ie

How much does it cost?

A €5 refundable deposit is charged for an adult card and €3 for a child’s. A minimum travel credit of €5 must be placed on the card at the time of first purchase.

How does it work?

It works just like phone credit. You top up your card in multiples of €5 and the cost of the fare is deducted from the balance every time a journey is made. The card can be topped up in shops or online.

Will it work out cheaper than paying a cash fare?

Yes. The card offers a 9 per cent saving on Dublin Bus fares after an increase in general fares comes into effect in January, up to 17 per cent off certain Luas tickets, and between 16 and 19 per cent off single Iarnród Éireann fares.

How do I use it on Dublin Bus?

For journeys up to 13 stages tell the driver your destination and hold your card to the target on the driver’s ticket machine and the right fare will be deducted. For longer journeys (over 13 stages) use the Leap Card validator on the right hand side as you enter the bus and the fixed fare will be deducted.

On the Luas?

Touch on a validator on the platform before you get on the tram and touch off when you get off. A default fare will be deducted from your card when you start your journey and when you end it the appropriate amount will be refunded on to your card.

On the Dart and commuter rail services?

It works in the same way as on the Luas above. The card can be used between stations within the “Short Hop Zone.” This zone includes all stations in the Dublin area from Greystones to Balbriggan and commuter stations from Dublin city centre to Maynooth and from Dublin Heuston to Hazelhatch.

How do I know how much credit is left on my card?

Cards indicate how much credit is left after a journey is made.

Anything else I should know?

You should register your card online at leapcard.ie. In this way, if a card is reported lost or stolen no one else can use it and the user is refunded the credit on the card.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 13-12-2011 at 12:49.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote