View Single Post
Unread 29-12-2011, 17:06   #18
wolf99
New to the board

Many thanks for the all replies.
After that list I have to say that over the years I have been using Irish rail the service has much improved and most of the staff I come into contact with are very helpful and accommodating.

The time on the maynooth to connolly stretch is however one of my slightly larger issues, I dont recall it ever taking less than about 40 minutes and as I nearly always have ongoing connections Im usually sitting there biting my nails! The train always seems to idle along at under 10kmh-ish, and then als get stopped somewhere by croke park, sometimes for 5 mins or more.... it always feels like the signalling powers that be are surprised to see a train. on the train tracks. attempting to get to a train station....of all the things!

One suggestion on improving journey time elsewhere is the time it can sometimes take waiting for signals to switch. Its not been so bad in the last month or two, but previous to that trains could be stopped and sitting at a light AFTER the passing train has gone by for several minutes. I dont know how the signals in these instances are operated, maybe there is some reason for this?

One other query I came across today, is how does one buy the advertised €10 tickets? the 1905 Dublin - Sligo is offered online at €10 but the 2202 Sligo- Dublin is €23... Do the fares change with demand or is it possible to know in advance which train I can get a €10 ticket for?

Again many thanks for all the answers they were much appreciated. things become slightly less frustrating when you know there is a reason for them and not just ignorance/laziness.

Happy holidays all.

PSs: the works on the sligo station seem to be fairly major, there is a significant amount of scaffolding up round the entire station except the front. Having seen the improvements in Galway station, connoly, and tara st that seemed to consist mostly of rerouting cables and a genera tidy up around the eves etc, this seems more in earnest, jack hammers atop the main wall and the like... would love a roof on macdiarmada, highly doubt thats what is going on though...

Last edited by wolf99 : 29-12-2011 at 17:11.
wolf99 is offline   Reply With Quote