View Single Post
Unread 26-07-2012, 16:23   #18
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
Not all IR tickets between Dublin and Galway are €11.99. I searched Dublin - Galway return for the next 2 weeks and couldn't find anything cheaper than €14.99 each way. CityLink is always €9.50 each way.
This was exactly the search I did. I did a quick search yesterday for going out Saturday and back Sunday and got the same prices.

On customer service, I don't actually get any on the services I use. The up-train has a ticket collector between Mullingar and Maynooth and both of the guys who man this are perfectly pleasant. The down train never has a ticket collector. There is a trolley on the up-train normally operated by either a nice girl or a very grumpy man.

I didn't even use my local station as an example - if you are going for the day it is reasonable but a standard open return from Edgeworthstown to Connolly is €32.50. They will usually do you a monthly return saver for something €28 (or sometimes €24). There is no ticket machine, so web fares are unavailable.

To suggest that increasing this fare is going to increase revenue in recessionary times is just stupid. It will be interesting to see what the traffic is like during the horse show this year. It was seriously down last year.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote