View Single Post
Unread 28-08-2012, 14:17   #8
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
TJS: I think the problem with the system as it currently exists is that it creates a perception of inequity and thus resentment/momentum for cancellation outright rather than implementing something people would consider fair. A travel warranty/limited value smartcard would in fact bring the travel pass closer to the limited unit system used for telephones etc. As for the argument during the boom, the problem there was that promises were made to OAPs of a throughly unfunded nature, relying on future revenues to fulfill the promises. Unfortunately nobody will be brought to account for this deception.
but the FTP goes from a long time before that, back to the 60s or the 70s, introduced by that renound carer for the elderly, CJH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
Mostly it's filling empty capacity, but I would restrict it on trains leaving Dublin between 4:30 and 7 in the evening, especially on a Friday.

It's galling to be on the 5 o'clock to Cork and see some old fella get on with 90 seconds to go and getting a seat from someone who has paid €77 for the privilege an taken their seat 15 minutes previously. I've even seen people give up reserved seats in those circumstances.
it was not allowed on surburban services at peak times when i first remember it but a quick check of the various sites tells me otherwise. wonder when this happened. I also think that it is very unfair to exepct a reserved seat holder to get up, sorry.

It reminds me of the old gits sketch from harry enfield, where the two lads stood on an otherwise enpty bus beside a pregnant seated woman, giving out about how people dont get up for old people.