Unread 23-10-2012, 10:21   #15
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standing Passenger View Post
The Irish Times - Friday, October 19, 2012
Varadkar says public transport near failing

MARIE O'HALLORAN

Mr Varadkar has ordered the semi-State body to develop a realistic business plan, cost reductions within the group, the sale of non-core asses ..........
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I always suspected there was "ass" as well as "horse"-power involved in that company. The Minister is onto something here.

I myself think that the demise of CIE is all caused by the re-opening of the Athenry to Ennis section. Just like ILDA shut down railfreight I blame West On Track for shutting the rest of it. The new chief of IE appears to be the recipient of a hospital pass.

By the way when can we hope to see Dublin bus drivers agree to open the centre doors on their shiny new fleet? Did those who procured these buses not realise that Dublin bus drivers don't do centre doors. It dos'nt bode well for the flexibility the Minister is hoping for.
to address your points:-

Athenry-Ennis has essentially been paid for by the closure of the Waterford-Rosslare line and will not have any further impact, apart from being totally uneconomic. then again, in terms of subsidy, isnt that what it is there for in the first place? There are, also, big brainy people on big salaries in the IE marketing department who have a full time job. Maybe they can get the line making more money.

Centre Doors - not sure what this has to do with a rail forum, but I will bite. There is a labour court decision to the effect that using the centre doors is not obligatory. Those of us who remember the way people used to stand or leave buggys and other things in the centre door area will know why.