View Single Post
Unread 15-05-2014, 11:02   #7
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Oh for Gods sake. I'm very happy if it proves uneconomic for Irish Rail to collect parking revenue because I believe it is ultimately a stupid exercise in some locations - and is certainly so for my station.

I personally don't mind paying 150 euro per year to park in Edgeworthstown but the whole exercise is self-defeating. Now that the commuters are on a 150 euro pa deal, I would be surprised if the entire car-park collected more than the price of one walk-up open return fare to Connolly while simultaneously making four or five times that number of people drive to Dublin instead.

I believe that Irish Rail would actually get more revenue and thus be a healthier business if they eliminate parking charges in rural stations. I don't really care about NCPS but I do care about Irish Rail as I depend on them to get me to work. Obviously, they need to charge the same as councils in town-centre locations to avoid people using the stations to dodge parking charges.

As an aside Berneyarms, I think you might get your point across a bit better if you avoided insulting other rail users in the defence of Irish Rail and its contractors. This is a rail users group, not a rail operators group.

Last edited by James Howard : 15-05-2014 at 11:15.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote