View Single Post
Unread 14-10-2014, 21:08   #38
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
hey, i cant help but be honest in my observations, and you went in with both feet on the OP in relation to their very very obvious joke in the first post and took it from there.

ironically it reminds me of the way that IR staff just throw out excuses on the hop and hope that the passenger will go away. It seems to be company policy, there are a few very interesting pages of posts on boards.ie about the fallen tree on the DART line last week - the exact same thing here.

the main point of this thread is how come nobody in a station can give the correct factual answer to a very important question by a passenger. The answer is not "you're asking the wrong person" and implying they are at fault.

They are asking the RIGHT person. That person does not know the answer and THEY are at fault.

You want to know what we are doing about it? We're having a meeting tomorrow as it happens and we will be bringing it up with IE. What we will not be doing is taking it out on the passengers for not having the wits to complain to Heuston Station.
I don't particularly want to have a "ding dong" discussion but I will make the following points:

Maybe the "driver slept it out" comment was a joke? Or maybe it wasn't? I don't know, but I can imagine that it could very easily be taken up the wrong way, hence my comment. All too often throwaway comments like that are posted in online discussions (not necessarily here), and they are not jokes, and frankly they can be viewed as insulting to hard working staff.

The OP quite correctly is annoyed that his/her train is being delayed - nowhere have I said otherwise. In fact I completely agreed with them. I also said that the lack of proper information is completely unacceptable.

The OP is then asking people on the ground in two stations what is delaying a train that does not stop at either of those two stations - hence my comment that it is unlikely that they are going to know the answer to that. I don't think that is an unreasonable observation. The focus of station staff would be on the train that the OP is waiting for - and how long it is being delayed for. Hence I would disagree that the staff members in the stations are entirely at fault - they rely on what they are told.

The fundamental problem here is the information flow from CTC to customers and staff on the ground, and in particular when something goes wrong. It is clearly not good enough and not fit for purpose. That needs to change. Hopefully your meeting tomorrow will come up with some constructive solutions to that problem, because it urgently needs addressing.

However, in the meantime, my advice of contacting Heuston Customer Services was based on my own experience of issues like this with other transport companies - contact the managers directly. It tends to be the only way you a) get a proper answer and b) get things changed so that the problem is cleared up.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote