Thread: Sail & Rail
View Single Post
Unread 31-08-2012, 18:33   #126
Traincustomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealink View Post
Unlike other rail and sail offers, this one is actively promoted. I wonder if it's because it is very well integrated as this video shows? And it's a good revenue stream for Greater Anglia Trains, compared to diluting revenue on the other routes? (Rail and Sail fares to Ireland are usually lower than most fares to the departing port). This isn't the case with the Harwich route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxEgAcnOywY

I think what has happened with Rail and Sail to Ireland is that the temporary loss of foot passengers thanks to rise of low cost airlines made the ferry companies amend their schedules to were the business was: cars and freight. In the process, they destroyed the connectivity that was there. Yet, there is a definitely an untapped market for people growing weary of airline nickle and diming.

Just some random, unchecked thoughts!
I think the integrated rail/sea terminals on the London-Netherlands route make a big difference along with the fact the crossing time neatly fits a normal sleep. Shipboard facilities are just as good on the Irish Sea but the shorter crossing time results in overnight journeys being fragmented.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote