View Single Post
Unread 18-01-2008, 00:12   #96
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
The Navan railway is becoming very political and very quickly.
Ok, I hear ye on that. I've always given out that politics shouldn't have a place in infrastructure provision. (At least not in the Jackie Healy-Rae Kerry tarmacing manner).

But even if it does get the nod doesn't mean it's not worth doing. Kick the politics if that happens, not the project

Quote:
Its background in terms of promises and financial/economic viability is very similar if not identical to the WRC.
Hmmm. Maybe, maybe not. Look at the only facts we have, from this report. 5,300 each way not including passengers from Pace and Dunboyne.

Quote:
Furthermore, demoting a man for saying this, while the same man and many of his colleagues have poured many doubts on more "economically viable" projects like the PPT, Sunday services through it from Kildare etc etc, strikes me as an act that was deemed by the DOT as too close to the political bone.
Again fair enough. PPT, Kildare on Sundays etc. But you have to remember that Navan became "subject to further studies" on the IÉ website ages ago and Dick Fearn commented that the line "could be extended to Navan eventually" in a railway magazine in 2006 and no hackles were raised.

I really think the issue was publicising the cost of a Transport 21 project, saying that there was insufficient funding and also saying that a project that IÉ would not be footing the bill for was not financially viable.

By giving out the T21 figure (through deduction), by saying the T21 budget was inadaquate and innaccurate and by being seen to have taken a decision which really rested with the Department of Transport was the problem.

I disagree with you that it is a Meath thing. The levy issue is a Meath County Council thing, the Minister is from Meath but the Transport 21 thing in relation to hidden costings is a nationwide matter which just happened to come to a head in Meath.

Last edited by Navan Junction : 18-01-2008 at 08:26.