View Single Post
Unread 27-02-2012, 11:36   #136
brompton7
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlr42 View Post
Excellent post, you should write to Alan Kelly and make sure he knows what effects his changes are having.
I certainly will be writing to Alan Kelly. And to Virginia O'Dowd of Nenagh Rail Partnership. And to Jim Gallivan, the business development manager in Limerick. I understand that the needs of the many out value the needs of the few. And that public funds should not be squandered. The odds are certainly stacked against the viability of the Nenagh branch. It has a competing bus service and a brand spanking new motorway running along side it. Of course it is difficult to sell the service. Try telling somebody who finished work at 1600 and can be home in 30 mins by car from their place of work that they must now wait 65 minutes for their service to run and then sit on a slow service and THEN get into their car at their local station and drive to their house. Any railway, in any way, is a social asset. It may never make money and may always need lifesupport. However, if it being run with public funds it should be run competently and EVERY effort made to make as useful as possible. We pay for the service. We pay for the people who run it. We pay the salaries of the Alan Kellys, the Virginia O'Dowds and the Jim Gallivans. It is OURS. The railway either needs to be closed to save money - or it needs to be run properly. Anything in between is an insult; and I am completely incensed when I look at the amount of tax I pay and the return I get is incompetence.
brompton7 is offline   Reply With Quote