View Single Post
Unread 26-05-2018, 07:37   #13
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
The N11 corridor has become a very busy commuter route. Sadly the railway is now barely relevant due to poor service frequency, limited seating capacity and tediously slow journey times especially on the portion of the route shared with DART. It appears more likely to be partially closed than developed.

What is the strategy for the line ? Does either the operator or the NTA have any vision or ambition for the future ?

The contrast with the Belfast/Derry line is instructive, similar length, similar infrastructure. One is booming, the other limps on with little promise of improvement.
I'm not sure I agree that the infrastructure is similar. I traveled on the Derry / Belfast line just over a year ago. My recollection is that Belfast to Coleraine is double tracked - about two thirds of the distance, allowing a 30 minute service. This section was very busy. This is like double tracking the distance from Dublin to Enniscorthy. It also didn't have an additional suburban service blocking the line. The section from Coleraine to Derry is pretty straight, with just 2 stops. The whole Belfast to Derry journey takes about 2 hours.

It would require a massive investment to upgrade the line to Rosslare to double track it as far as Enniscorthy and avoid being slowed down by the DART.

People make pretty simple travel decisions based on what they know about the available options. If there's a quick train option into Dublin, they will use it. If it's quicker to go by road they will do that instead.

Last edited by Eddie : 26-05-2018 at 07:46.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote