View Single Post
Unread 09-04-2008, 15:25   #19
dermo88

This line has parallels with the Settle to Carlisle line in the UK. Propose closing it, and the rail enthusiast lobby will go nuts. I'd keep it open for strategic reasons, such as oil shortages at some point in the future.

It was the first route I used. I still use it when I am back home. But they won't get better than 2 hours 30 minutes out of it between Dublin and Rosslare. There is a lot of padding, and that padding is there to discourage usage, and run it down towards closure. Thats been the case since 1987. It is the case today. Since I don't use it as much anymore, then thats my view. What about the people who do. But usage is dwindling, so is confidence. There are raiilways (worldwide) like this one with beautiful scenery, but when you go to a bar at the end of travelling and you are asked "How did you get here", and you say "train", a look of shock and disbelief results. A look that says "You subjected yourself to that crap".

The competition, on the N11, is of a far higher quality. As far as Iarnrod Eireann are concerned, the Dublin to Rosslare line has been a great advertisement for car dealerships throughout the land. Granted, they have made an effort to change that, but by its very nature, the game will be up if/when a recession hits the country, and Iarnrod Eireanns costs come under review.

How much is it losing per annum. It was losing 4 Million Pounds in the mid to late 90's. I'd easily say its costing 10 Million Euro these days.

Theres very little that can realistically be done with it. I always said "Do it up or close it down", and have no half measures in that respect. It has been done up, but not done up enough to restore confidence. The N11 is like a TGV by comparison. It takes 1 hour to Gorey from Dublin now on that. Bus Eireann can get 1 hour 30 if they tried. The best Iarnrod Eireann can do, and I observed was/is 1 hour 22 minutes.

Last edited by dermo88 : 09-04-2008 at 15:34.
dermo88 is offline   Reply With Quote