View Single Post
Unread 25-08-2019, 15:23   #88
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goods View Post
Yes I think that the lesson is that we should not be continuously surprised by such an event it’s down to absence of analysis and planning using the data that must be available to predict when there is demand.
For decades we have been told by the Dublin set that IE is too small for a train service and that the branch lines are uneconomic yet now we see that demand cannot be met.
If the service is provided it will be used and I agree that from certain stations like Athlone non stop trains are needed.
I’m aware that the argument will be made that traffic near Dublin is too high and capacity restricted which brings me to the option of opening Athlone - Mullingar route to Dublin and providing other north south options like WRC.
There is a need to think outside the box rather than the add on another carriage solution!
It justified the case for IE to manage and invest in what they have before wasting money on WRC that will deliver a lower ROI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACustomer View Post
The key is to identify the constraints to service improvements. Before you can make much use of extra rolling stock, you have to tackle track capacity. For Galway/Mayo services the Athlone-Portarlington section is critical. Doubling even over a limited part of the line would enable significant service improvements. No hint that this is on any official radar screen however.
The CEO made reference to double tracking that section not long ago. Its on there radar but not happening anytime soon.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 25-08-2019 at 15:25.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote