Thread: Sail & Rail
View Single Post
Unread 30-07-2016, 21:57   #251
Traincustomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Hearing on regional radio about a new 5 or 7 times daily bus service between Rosslare Port and Wexford Town operated by Local Link Wexford and it connects with the ferries.

May well cause problems for IE summer service.
The Local Link bus journey time from the port to Redmond Square in Wexford town is 50 minutes so even allowing for the walk from the terminal to station the train beats it by a large margin (23 minutes Europort-Wexford town)

Came through Rosslare earlier this week off the Fishguard ferry and on the way to the station saw the Local Link bus departing empty whereas at least three others transferred to the train (some may have missed it as the ship wasn’t in till about 18.10 and I wasn’t the only passenger who ended up running part of the way). I’ve come to the very general conclusion over the course of many trips that ferry passengers heading to places locally tend to get collected by friends/relatives with the train being the preserve of those travelling further afield.

Whilst a full sized bus is deployed on this Local Link route the service appears to be primarily designed to serve the villages. For instance it goes all around Rosslare Strand and goes into Killinick village (much safer than stopping at the side of the busy N25). There is also a three days a week connecting bus at Killinick to/from Lady’s Island, Carne etc...

Quote:
“it connects with the ferries”
Not being smart but so do several/most trains. The critical difference is that Local Link Wexford are quite pro-active and have placed local media ads (for instance there’s a full page ad in this week’s Wexford People) to promote their service whereas IÉ would probably prefer to close the line south of Wexford rather than meaningfully promote it and properly develop its USPs.

There ought to be a common promotional fund for PSO services both rail and bus as the present situation is that some new/altered PSO services are marketed quite well whereas it genuinely feels others are being set up to fail. The last time I saw any IÉ promotion at Rosslare was a poster on the billboard on the hill out of the port about online fares from Limerick/Kerry etc… Irrelevant given one can’t access any of these places by rail from the port. I understand IÉ's printer broke down so the intended poster promoting the highly scenic run up the east coast to Dublin to our tourists had to be abandoned!!!

Last edited by Traincustomer : 30-07-2016 at 21:58. Reason: clarity
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote