View Single Post
Unread 05-05-2009, 16:15   #9
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

I notice that a lot of people here resent the fact that Intercity and Commuter trains serve the likes of Tara Street, Pearse and Dun Laoghaire. However, these arguments hold very little merit. This is due to the fact that they are either major transportation hubs or because they are right beside important colleges.

I very much doubt that someone going to Trinity College from the likes of Wexford or Arklow will fancy the idea of changing trains at Bray or Connolly when the train they strarted out with can bring them directly there in one go. Additionally, Tara Street is pretty much in the center of the countries capital and a five minute stroll from one of Europes widest thuroughfares, O'Connoll Street.

While Dun Laoghaire Station is not located in the city center, it is situated beside a major ferry terminal which is serviced by the HSS. Therefore, people from the likes of Gorey and Arklow have a second option of cross sea travel besides Rosslare Europort. On top of that, all three stations are each serviced by an abundance of different bus routes.

To a certain degree, the reason why the rest of the Rosslare services are so slow is either because they are squashed between two DART services and also due to the fact that the line south of Bray is single track. I know there are passing loops on the line. However, the fact that it is single track from Bray onwards, hinders the possibility of large scale development in the areas adjacent to the track.

Furthermore, as a MAJOR harbour Rosslare is heavily underserviced by rail. On the other hand, I agree completely that the rolling stock being used on the line is a joke. Fair enough, when it only goes as far as Gorey, I can understand use of the Commuter but when it travels the entire length of the South/East Coast it should be Intercity no matter what. On the more positive side of things, it is the cheapest ticket going.
paddyb180285 is offline   Reply With Quote