View Single Post
Unread 24-07-2012, 07:04   #3
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I've always liked the idea of having a giant spike in the bridge and having it punch through the roof of the cab impaling the driver if hits the bridge. Either that or an enormous circular saw blade rotating at high speed in front of the bridge. That would make them think about the height of their vehicle.

More seriously, I can't really see the point in making an effort to track down these guys if it ends up like the guy who took a miles worth of DART overhead cable with him and got fined 500 euro for his trouble because his marriage had broken down and his business had folded. That isn't even worth the bother of prosecution. This won't change until a train actually derails because of this and a few people get killed.

Both of the main railway bridges in Longford have sacrificial structures on them and they seem to help. The main problem they have is that one of the bridges is at an angle to the road and the trucks tend to fall over onto the pavement when they hit the bridge. It is an absolute miracle that nobody has been killed there.

I think the main reason for the decline is the decrease in construction traffic. These are guys in a rush on short runs who are probably paying more attention to the next run than the one he is doing. The guys who are long-hauling are generally a bit more focused on the job.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote