View Single Post
Unread 01-03-2010, 15:22   #25
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccos View Post
Has anyone tried DB catering on German IC trains, it operates at a good standard, they also have casual guys (& gals) with a small easy to manouvre trolly of drinks and snacks that get on and get off at different stations along the way.

Maybe they could give rail gourmet a few tips on how its done
Ah yes, the BordRestaraunt. I still remember the 1l glass bottle of water, massive ham, mayo and onion baguette and KitKat chunky, all for a very reasonable €7. That was about 5 years ago when I was in Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACustomer View Post
I don't have the exact details, but surely price has a lot to do with the decrease in 1st class patronage. The markup over standard (€20?) appears to be much the same for all journeys: this might be OK Dublin-Cork at peak times, but it's a huge premium to pay for Dublin-Waterford, or for an off-peak ticket, even to Cork.
Perhaps there is some value in 1st class on the Cork (CAF trainsets) and Belfast (DD sets) (I'm not familiar with them, nor what distinguishes their 1st class seats from the normal seats, so I cannot be sure) but from what I've seen in pics, the 1st class on the 22ks is very much 1st class in name only.

I specifically recall from the Mark 2 days in the 1990s on the Sligo line there were first class carriages at some times and the seats were different at least the decor was more grand (e.g. carpet vs. lino flooring), and at least some of the seats were in a 2+1 configuration, i.e. wider seats with 2 on one side of the isle and only 1 on the other, but I think they were airplane seats from the 1970s.

Last edited by sean : 01-03-2010 at 15:24.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote