View Single Post
Unread 30-08-2012, 19:42   #13
Traincustomer

Personally I think a shuttle bus linking Edgeworthstown station to Edgeworthstown, Granard and surrounds (and possibly Abbeylara) could work.

The fact that Edgeworthstown is where the trains cross would mean that each journey of the shuttle bus would generally be linking to/from two trains creating a wider variety of journey opportunities.

Such a bus could be flexibly routed in parts to best serve the catchment area.

There needs to be better connectivity between provincial rail stations and their catchment towns and villages by public transport.

It's no exaggeration that the journey by public transport from the likes of Cavan town and Ballinagh to Dublin would often be accomplished quicker and more punctually if there was a shuttle bus to Edgeworthstown railway station linking into the train. The Express bus from Donegal to Dublin through Cavan is frequently 15/20 minutes late in my experience (due it seems to an unrealistic and in part unattainable daytime schedule) whereas the local 109 route can lose significant time between traffic, frequent stops and high loadings (dwell times of 10-15 minutes in Navan are not unheard of).
The route 111 from Ballinagh takes 2 hours 50 minutes to Dublin and includes a change of coach and ten minute wait at Athboy.

I'm not having a go at Bus Éireann here as traffic is an external issue but just pointing out that in some cases creating and or reconfiguring publically-funded bus routes to feed into the rail system may be a much more effective use of scarce public monies and result in a more coherent and better used public transport system.

Last edited by Traincustomer : 30-08-2012 at 19:43. Reason: typo
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote