View Single Post
Unread 09-03-2014, 18:05   #3
Traincustomer

There is certainly significant potential to improve rail to bus links in many locations across the country but there seems to be very little interest in doing so.

In very recent years the bus timetable for the route to Cavan has been displayed on a noticeboard in the waiting room at Longford station - I think it's still there. But what's really needed is a higher profile display i.e. a dedicated display board "Bus links from this station" with a schematic map and timetable.

While dedicated feeder buses would need to be carefully planned and structured and could not be sustained in all locations (or only on a limited peak-time basis) there are numerous opportunities for existing scheduled routes to integrate with rail. As I see it it's a "win win" for IÉ and the bus operator/s concerned.

Subsidised rural community buses should also be serving rail stations when they coincide with a train time and not just feeding into commercial bus services.

There is a severe paucity of bus-rail integration improvements. Cork (Kent) springs to mind as a significant improvement in recent years and it's good that the subsidised M & A Coaches routes 828 & 828X serve Portlaoise station.

A plan for a feeder bus in Co. Cork from Mitchelstown and Fermoy to Mallow appears abandoned - presumably due to the motorway. Significant improvements in the Drogheda area bus routes were introduced last November but none serve the rail station.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote