View Single Post
Unread 06-05-2014, 11:59   #12
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
30 seconds is nowhere near enough to get off an ICR if you are in the middle of a car and it suddenly pulls into your station with no warning. It takes me twice as long to pack up my laptop and get ready to leave and I've been doing it 4 times a week for 10 years.

Also, there is no train back down from Enfield after the 1800 up-train so she would be stuck with trying her luck with a bus or a taxi.

That's a good point regarding Connolly station and tourists. Most trains actually display "Connolly Station" - why not "Dublin Connolly" which is shorter. It is a train so is self-evident that it is going to a station. Where's it going to go, Connolly Ice-cream parlour?

Again, the notice saying X-hundred euro fine for misuse could easily scare somebody into keeping quiet in this case. Who is to say what is misuse and is it going to be different if the driver has had a row with his wife the same day?
Most Intercity stops are scheduled for 1 or 2 minutes, with the only exceptions being stops at small halts which may be 30 seconds. If the electronic pa system is not working, then of course the driver should be announcing each stop in advance. I would hope that IE would cover the cost of that lady getting from Enfield back to Mullingar as it would be the least that they could do.

And I'd agree that the displays should read "Dublin Connolly" - that makes far more sense.

However, I don't agree with your comments about using the alarm buttons. If you find yourself in a situation such as that outlined above, or where anti-social behaviour was taking place, and you do use the button, then you will not be penalised for doing so.

The signs are there to deter messers from pressing it out of devilment rather than anyone with a legitimate problem. Anyone with what they consider a legitimate reason will not be penalised, and I think to suggest otherwise is frankly daft.

I think that you are to a degree scaremongering in this regard and frankly being unnecessarily insulting to professional railway staff by your last comment.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote