View Single Post
Unread 03-09-2009, 11:05   #35
irishsaint
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
There is no reason to cut services, if they do it will cause chaos within Northern Ireland as all the connections will go crazy and Newry suffers quite badly. For Dundalk commuters it means an even worse off peak service

They need 1 extra train set to make the service work, there are 3 available and it is Irish Rail's responsibility to to provide a train set, NIR are meeting their obligation of 2
Newry gets 12 trains to Belfast a day, all they are talking about is getting rid of the 22:00 and amalgamiting the 14:30 and 16:30 into one service and dundalk has additional services it never had now with the ie emergency timetable. I have no problem for the temporary timetable to exist as planned.

On the train front, nir are not meeting responsability. both ie and nir have train sets available and equipped exactly for scenarios like this, the IE trains (except for 2 loco's in belfast by chance which were at sume rail event - these are not equipped with NI rail signal equipment) are all south of the viaduct so its up to nir to kick into contingency mode (they havn't).....

as i said before, leaving central at 06:50 every monring and not having a clue what time you will get home at, be it 22:00 or 23:00 is just not sustainable and it seems very unlikly that nir or ie will provide extra trains for the service to make it work, so then the alternative is to chop it temporarily. As a temporary messaure, I endorse it.
irishsaint is offline   Reply With Quote