Thread: NEW TRAINS!
View Single Post
Unread 11-03-2007, 23:33   #3
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
This poor category has lay vacant too long.

Passengers on this line will be getting new trains after the Sligo line gets them....apparently. But I have a theory. I reckon IE might try and shaft this line, so they can use IC railcars on the WRC and lift the existing 29000s for Dublin commuter runs.

The Rosslare line could be the on going haunt of the MK2. (thats the train with slam doors and windows you cant open) again.

Despite my smilies, would anyone rule it out?
I wouldn't rule it out either. What with the two premier Intercity services, Cork and Belfast, being made a complete shambles by their coach sets, it's only a matter of time before someone with responsibility for either goes fishing for IC railcars to back them up. Rosslare would probably be the (first) loser.

The Mk2d have only a short lifespan left. Back at the end of 2005, some of them like the Sligo bunch, were not life expired contrary to IEs claims, but the rest of them were pretty much finished and a year hanging around Heuston and NI probably hasn't done ours any good either. So they're not going to Rosslare (Rosslare had Mk2ds before but those not scrapped have been in Heuston for much longer and Heuston doesn't exactly have the Midas touch when it comes to Mk2ds).

Rosslare will possibly get stuck with 29ks. If IE needs 29ks for Dublin service, they could very well get them from Longford by replacing those with Mk3 P/Ps
sean is offline   Reply With Quote