View Single Post
Unread 18-07-2006, 19:37   #11
Graham
New to the board

I don't - people can be very tired after a long day. Provided they are not blocking an aisle or otherwise getting in the way.

On the wider issue of giving up seats, I have yet to be in a position to do this, but have encountered 'borderline' situations, where a middle-aged 40-50 woman looks a bit weary or whatever. Generally I wouldn't mind speaking out in public, but on a commuter train with the same people every day I would get embarrassed at being rejected by some stubborn PC 'lady' in front of everyone, and so remain put, especially in the context of my rushing about all day, being wrecked and that being the first chance to sit down - I probably need the seat more than she does anyway. But certainly if the case is more clear cut, there is no disputing matters.

One situation I was in on a Commuter however really p*ssed me off, and goes to show just how bitchy women can be. I was sitting at a table, on the aisle seat, with a woman of about 40 sitting opposite me, also on the aisle. There was a man sitting beside me at the window with his laptop. Standing right beside me but slightly behind, was a heavily pregnant woman. Naturally I didn't see her in that position, but the woman directly opposite me clearly could. The man beside me happened to sit up and turn around from his computer and noticed her, and immediately offered his seat, closing up his laptop. I then, now looking like an ignoramus (younger than the man too), had to get up to let her in. It subsequently emerged when I sat down later at the table and the woman opposite began talking to her, that she "was waiting for that gentleman to stand up" and give her the seat!

I was ready to hit her a slap - especially in the context of her glancing at me and pouting "a least there's some real gentlemen left". She was willing to let this woman remain standing, and was also willing to allow a man with laptop pack up and offer his seat instead of her. She also didn't have the courtesy to even politely 'suggest' to me that I offer my seat, on the chance I hadn't seen her.

On the topic of fold-up seats, from a Northern Line Commuter:

Graham is offline   Reply With Quote