View Single Post
Unread 09-05-2011, 15:39   #18
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACustomer View Post
If Aircoach cannot take non-Airport passengers, it's due to the restrictions on their licence (issued by DoT?). I see also that the DoT has refused all-night licences and scuppered the 746. Why? It seems to be a truly neanderthal organisation, and maybe I was a bit harsh in rushing to blame the unions (not that they are totally blameless....)
there is a lot of bizzare politics involved in the dublin bus situation. Since Mary Harney (??) in Enterprise/Employment there has been a pressure to privatise in full or part of Dublin Bus, by several different methods. That led to the bizzare refusal of the DoT to licence the Airlink service through the Tunnell as it impacted on private services, to ideas like francising out individual routes of BAC to the current interesting one that concerns the delivery of the latest batch of tri-axle buses.

From what I read the new ones are dual doors and that if they are not accepted by BAC/Unions (there has been problems with dual door operation in the past) then they (as in the routes that will be put onto) will be francised out from BAC to private operators. There is a savage amount of buses involved, basicly doubling the amount of tri-axles, which makes sence as BAC want to shift more Pax with less of a fleet.

On top of that, McCarthy 2 advocates selling off the only profitable bit of BAC as it currently stands in the Airlink service.