View Single Post
Unread 01-08-2012, 20:40   #50
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Last Monday (30th July) the 1605 to Ballybrobhy left Limerick with 4 or 5 passengers, and I travelled on the 1705, with about 5 on board. I was the only passenger from Nenagh to Ballybrophy, and on arrival I saw just one person leave the connecting service (1800 ex Heuston) to get on the retrun Ballybrophy-Limerick train. The train which we crossed at Roscrea had about 12 on board (there were probably some more who had left by the time our train passsed it).

The journey on the branch takes almost 2 hours for less than 60 miles: no wonder it's so badly patronised. The Killonan-Nenagh stretch, which is almost all CWR is slower than the Nenagh-Roscrea stretch which is jointed track, the reason being that the 50 mph line limit has long "temporary" restrictions of 25 mph, as well as vey slow speeds past the large number of manned level crossings. The Limerick Junction to Waterford line is super-fast by comparison. I just wonder what sort of incompetent management has managed to pour so much money into such a black hole, with no return.

The Alan Kelly timetable certainly seems to have killed off Limerick-Nenagh commuting. It's sad to see such a run-down line: closure would be a merciful release.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote