View Single Post
Unread 16-07-2013, 22:11   #29
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Jamie2k9: The Galway line had its service level increased this year, against the general trend, so I assume that business maust be good. (for what it's worth, the 2 trains I was on yesterday were well-filled)
It did but I would love to know if it added numbers on the route as from what I can see it just took from others, have not seen loads recently but its the summer so they will be lower anyway. The extra services just added major delays daily on the route and now most Galway services have up to 15 added from end of the month. I bet passengers will be delighted about this.

Quote:
When the hourly Cork service was introduced, it lead to increased patronage, even allowing for the general bubble-era boom in traffic. Good frequency attracts custom and lower frequency would also mean more stops on the Cork line and thus an even worse competitive situation vis-a-vis the motorway.
Fully agree but it can't be sustained, we are not talking about major cuts but if one or two services per day were cut it would add up over a year. Don't agree about more stops as the cuts wouldn't have any major impact.

Quote:
You have to be careful when talking about cuts to services, for what I think are sound business reasons.

These days, a train may make 3 to 5 single intercity journeys in a day. Some of these may be lightly loaded, but they are part of a longer link, so they can't be dropped without disrupting other services.
It just comes down to better scheduling and I don't agree with your comment about longer link as it could all be sorted out.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote