View Single Post
Unread 05-12-2007, 10:44   #24
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
Got it? It was closed. Dosnt matter if he knows why its closed or not. It's bloody closed. He decided to open it and wander on. Correct attitude of the IE staff would be to politly tell him to go back the train isnt ready for boarding yet and be polite and mannerly at all times to him - after all he is a customer.
I don't think it's quite as simple as that. If I arrived at Heuston less than ten minutes before departure, saw my train sitting on the platform, no sign of anyone queuing and no staff member to tell me what to do, I'd assume I was late and dash for the train. Even if the gate was closed, how is a new customer supposed to know what that means, maybe they self close to avoid swinging around, maybe the last person through closed it by accident, there are numerous valid reasons for going through.

The guy did what normal people would do, Irish Rail are _entirely_ at fault here. Signage, staff, physically locking the gate - there are so many things they could have done but didn't. Most people would be embarrassed and annoyed at being given out to which is hardly a recipe for encouraging repeat custom.