View Single Post
Unread 24-12-2009, 15:33   #8
Traincustomer

Tuesday 5th January, 2010 at 1330 hrs. is the last scheduled HSS sailing from Dún Laoghaire to Holyhead.

I have heard reports that the former Lynx berth at St. Michael's Pier (southern face of terminal) is being renovated to accommodate the Lynx once again and that two round trips daily are planned. None of this is confirmed but the use of the Lynx on Dún Laoghaire - Holyhead is credible in view of the fact that the 2010 sailing schedule for Rosslare - Fishguard currently only features the Stena Europe conventional ferry (i./e. no Lynx seasonal services on the route in 2010).

Eddie, that is a very good point. Certainly the SailRail should be promoted as the key way to/from Ireland for GB-based tourists.

Regarding Rosslare and connections to/from the ferry I think there needs to be compromise on all sides. All we are talking about are adjustments of a few minutes by one or both both companies. For instance the 2115 sailing to Fishguard wouldn't even be passing Tuskar Rock lighthouse when the evening train from Dublin pulls in. In this case it wouldn't be impossible for Stena to defer their sailing by thirty minutes.

Similarly those on the deck of the arriving Stena Europe at 1800hrs. will likely see the 1755 hrs. last train of the day snaking away towards the Strand and Dublin.

As Mark has said the Rosslare to Dublin line is set up to cater for people travelling to and from the city rather than than the ferry. Understandable and correct as this is, all that is needed is some minor adjustments by Irish Rail and Stena Line to facilitate connections to/from the ferry at Rosslare.

It's not a lot to ask for and personally I think it is downright shameful that something as basic as this is not happening of its own accord and as a matter of course and good practice.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote