View Single Post
Unread 07-09-2011, 18:48   #15
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

I checked it yes it is €33 on the ticket machine despite been just over €29 at the booking office. I took the 10:21 train to Limerick Junction-Limerick today. They actually used a 6 car ICR 22000 for the Dublin/Cork. I guess they withdrew one the MK4s for repairs. Still a rip off though Clonmel is only 7.50 on the bus and a much faster journey. Coming back on the 16:33 Limerick junction to Thurles the train moved about 4 metres and cut out then moved another few metres cut out again. Wonder what caused that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
76km by rail. So in effect you are double punishing people by adding both time and money when the railway line isn't direct.

I'm actually surprised there isn't a special fare between the two towns as a legacy of when there was a direct railway line between them. It can only have closed in the 60s.
Wasn't that the line at Gooldscross Junction-Cashel. It was closed during the 60s and in typical CIE fashion was completely removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Tipperary operates as two counties so there isn't a serious flow north/south. It is possible to leave Clonmel at 7:30 and be in Thurles for 8:48
There is quite alot traffic though in Thurles especially between 8am-8pm. Most going through for South Tipperary and it's chaos in the town sometimes taking up to a 45 minutes to get from Drish to Tipp institute on the Nenagh road, on match days it's even longer you have to go the regional/back roads to get to the other sides of town. If someone parks on a yellow line and it causes grid lock in the square. They were suppose to build a bypass next year but it's put off until funding can be provided. And in 2014 both North and South Tipperary will operate as a single county so they might have to fix their fares then i guess. Is that line in good condition though? There was two bridge collapses in the 1950s and in 2003 in Cahir so i guess it has a very low speed limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
Is there really enough people to justify that? I can't even get Thurles or Templemore to appear in a Bus Eireann search!
www.shamrockbuses.com there is two seperate routes one that goes Thurles-Clonmel at 11:15 and 17:45 and goes through Holycross, Cashel and New Inn. other goes Thurles-Clonmel at 8:00 and 15:00 through Two-mile Borris Killenaule and Fethard. A bus for Templemore leaves Thurles at 8:55 14:55 and 19:00 but the trains are much more frequent and only slightly more expensive at €5.10. Bus Éireann route 008 passes near Thurles you get off at the Horse & Jockey though and have to walk the n62. To be honest people here like using the train it's expensive but a really excellent reliable service. Bus Éireann were here years ago route 008 came into the town even and another route to Athlone and they never got any customers in the volume as the trains get.

Last edited by Destructix : 08-09-2011 at 07:58.