View Single Post
Unread 26-01-2012, 13:15   #5
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

I'm just out of a (unrelated) meeting and off the phone to Mark G. I've only had a general look at the press release, but the language suggests something much better than had been there previously. Notably, these are maximum permissible fares, discounts can still be offered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
There are some weird anomalies in that report[list][*]Services to Tralee are categorised as Express, even though the Express track ends at Mallow. This has a particularly negative affect on Cork-Tralee fares. Even though the categories of line used are broadly the same in terms of length, Cork-Tralee fares are much higher than Dublin-Kilkennt fares
Mark advises that only the double track section is charge at the higher rate. The single track section is charged at the lower rate.

However, any new unfairness should be studied properly.
Quote:
[*]On the map, WRC fares are indicated as Economy2, but for pricing purposes are included in the Economy1 fares.
This may be to stop the system being overly complicated.
Quote:
[*]On the map, Waterford fares are indicated as Economy1, but for pricing purposes are included in the Economy2 fares.
I think they are trying to make Dublin-Waterford and Dublin-Rosslare substantially the same.
Quote:
I'm sure there are others; that's just the first lot I noticed.
Keep them coming
Quote:
Abolishing the 5-Day returns will create significant fare increases on some lines.
Possibly. However, I think there was a substantial element of unfairness in the distribution of discounted fares.
Quote:
For the life of me, I can't see why it wasn't just kept simple, with a charge per kilometre rather than the band system.
Administrative burden.
Quote:
In particular, this shafts people on routes like Cork-Mallow or Dublin-Newbridge, where the fare just creeps over the threshhold.
Potentially these need to be treated as suburban fares on the suburban matrix.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 31-01-2012 at 20:43.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote